Sitting on the Fence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 20th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sitting on the Fence

I have three Canon cameras, two XM2's. one old Xl-1 so I'm heavily invested in Canon so I would like to wait a bit for prices to come down and for more real reviews to come out about the new XL-2. So far it sounds good, but I just hope that the Lux ratings arent' what is being presented so far ( 5.5 lux?) and also yes I would like to see a WA to bring the lens up to DVX-100 standard but that is one of the many the nice things about the XL-1 and XL-2 series that the Pany DVX-100 series cant' do is change lens, of course at great expense. I've owned a Ntsc Dvx-100 and liked it but I am an event videographer and didn't need 24p, and now I am in PAL land now so I had to sell it. So I'm sitting on the fence waiting for prices and real comparisons come out, plus saving money as well for the BIG buy! Thanks so much to DV-i community to keeping us all informed!
Paul Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM   #2
Trustee

The Xl2 is in fact rated to 5.5 lux but at 1/60 shutter speed. If I remember well, the XL1 was rated 2 lux at 1/8 or 16 lux at 1/60... so the XL2 seem to be a great improvement in low light compared to the XL1. We will have to wait for real user reviews to know how it perform in real life and against other camcorders like the PD-170...
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

the long wait

Yes Jean that what everyone is waiting for is real reviews, I've read a few like the one on the CamcorderInfo.com user review I posted. Some things dont' sound so good, some do. I'm still waiting with my money but how long I'll wait is the question.
Paul Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM   #4

Re: the long wait

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Colt : . . . I've read a few. . . Some things dont' sound so good, some do. I'm still waiting with my money but how long I'll wait is the question. -->>>

That has been my experience ever since the XL1 was released. Someone always had something negative to say or report. I bought one anyway. I wasn't disappointed.

When the XL1s came out, same thing--more bad press and more naysayers. I bought one of those, too. Very pleased with it! All along this path I've read horror stories about what the cameras and lenses were doing or not doing. And through it all, I have never experienced one of the problems I read about. I was left with the theory that it came down to the fact that some people didn't know how to use the camera and/or lenses.

So, based on my previous positive experiences with Canon, I'm standing here with cash in my sweaty little fist ready to pounce on the first XL2 I can come September. I'm confident I won't be disappointed.

Jay

P.S. Fence sitting can be a real pain in the butt.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Re: the long wait

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Gladwell : <<<-- Originally posted by Paul Colt : . . . I've read a few. . . Some things dont' sound so good, some do. I'm still waiting with my money but how long I'll wait is the question. -->>>

That has been my experience ever since the XL1 was released. Someone always had something negative to say or report. I bought one anyway. I wasn't disappointed.

When the XL1s came out, same thing--more bad press and more naysayers. I bought one of those, too. Very pleased with it! All along this path I've read horror stories about what the cameras and lenses were doing or not doing. And through it all, I have never experienced one of the problems I read about. I was left with the theory that it came down to the fact that some people didn't know how to use the camera and/or lenses.

So, based on my previous positive experiences with Canon, I'm standing here with cash in my sweaty little fist ready to pounce on the first XL2 I can come September. I'm confident I won't be disappointed.

Jay

P.S. Fence sitting can be a real pain in the butt. -->>>

Hey Jay, and everyone else. I'd say that I've come across my own issue, is that I forget to sometimes plug the viewfinder into the camera. Boy, has that started a few... ah.... not so pretty words. But that was my own stupidity. And to think, after owning the camera well over a year, and doing lots of shoots, I'd remember by now. Or, sometimes, my tripod as an "on/off" switch, that sometimes I leave on off. When I plug in my camera, it goes on...then off. Yea...after several layers of tape, staples (don't ask) I'm good :)

It's a good camera. No two or three ways about it. Just one. The right way.
(i'm starting to sound like a politician...)
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:22 PM   #6

Josh, you're a far better man than I.

I'd rather be boiled in oil that admit that I had made any mistakes with my camera! ;o)

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

IMO 5 ( 3 , 2 whatever) lux tells me nothing about the image.. so if the dvx is rated at 2 lux is that a usable image at 2 lux ? or is it just a bunch of noise ?? is that with 3, 6, 12, 18, 36 db gain ? IMO it's doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the image. some strange reference LUX ..notice they don't give any lux readings in decent light as it would be 100,000 lux at F2 ! 3 million lux at F8??? !!!
there is NO standard for these readings ..each manufacturer seems to use there own standard ..so is that 5 lux on a 18% grey card ? 90% white card ? or it is just 5 lux and i can see something on the monitor ? ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

the spec sheet on canon website says its 5.5 lux at 1/60 on 60i using 4:3 aspect with their 20x lens.

And im sure that its, at the least, a decent picture.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:05 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes but many sites also state the Lux rating at 3 which just as Don pointed out Lux rating does not necessarily mean a good image. I've owned a DVX-100 and its low light ability looked better then my XM2's and my old XL-1. However if the XL-2 is as good as the DVX I'm fine with it since its not that important.
Paul Colt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders