I don't get Canon sometimes!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I don't get Canon sometimes!!

Why would they remove the top audio monitor?? I understand that there is apparently an audio monitor inside the viewfinder....but I am using the FU-1000. So why does Canon think that I should have to hold my camera out to the side to check my levels now?? I love the XL series so much....but there is so much that you have to "live with" in order to use them!!

Yes, I will be spending the $$$ for the XL2 anyways.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I could not tell ya old friend...

Goat
Brian Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

Chris, I guess they figured that if you are looking through the EVF, you can see the levels fine.
If you aren't looking through the EVF, it shouldn't be a problem then to see them on the side of the camera.
That's what I'd guess. I dunno. I still wonder why they didn't make it available in a nice Competition Yellow or Electron Blue... :)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM   #4
Skyonic New York

chris i said the same thing, but thing is when you actually hold the xl2 with the eye cup popped off you can pretty much see the lcd screen from almost any angle, and the level are visible in the dark and light...

so the bottom line is in the new xl2 it really wasn't necessary for the top vu mount...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chris,
If you often use the FU-1000 b&w viewfinder, treat yourself to a better view. Don Berube turned me onto (and actually sold me) the Tiffen Tele2X viewfinder eyepiece. It basically enables you to easily see the viewfinder using both eyes from a comfortable distance. It's one of those, "How did I live without this?" accessories.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you!!!

I'll have to check the Tiffen out. I am always looking for a better view.I have also learned that the FU-1000 will display all of the menus, audio monitors and the correct 16:9 letterbox as well!!

I will be checking out that viewfinder accessory now. Thanks again.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Just to let everyone know (because it is easily missed in Dylans
post and the specs), the levels are ALSO ON THE SIDE OF THE
camera INSIDE THE DIAL! So it is still on the outside of the camera,
not JUST inside the EVF. It is just not on the top anymore.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Major Player

<<If you often use the FU-1000 b&w viewfinder, treat yourself to a better view. Don Berube turned me onto (and actually sold me) the Tiffen Tele2X viewfinder eyepiece. It basically enables you to easily see the viewfinder using both eyes from a comfortable distance. It's one of those, "How did I live without this?" accessories.>>

I had talked to Don about this, and meant to try one. You really like it that much huh Ken? Would you say a foot or so away is good for accurate viewing?...no loss of res with the relay lens?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM   #9
Trustee

how much is it (roughly) is this tele2x? another few hundred no doubt. all in all one could have spent $1k+ for all these little accesssories+lens eh?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jim,
This is coming from eyes that are half a century old, but a foot is probably the maximum viewing distance for the Tele 2X. I tend to get much closer to it, perhaps 6 inches. It's particularly handy for very high and low shots where it's impractical to place your eye to the viewfinder.

I don't know the list price of the Tele 2X but suspect it's around $300. You should note that the FU-1000 is a fairly standard viewfinder for professional cameras. So the Tele 2X carries a price commensurate with professional budgets.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders