DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   POLL: what will you use your XL2(or XL1s) for? indie movies or other things? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30102-poll-what-will-you-use-your-xl2-xl1s-indie-movies-other-things.html)

Yi Fong Yu August 4th, 2004 07:48 PM

POLL: what will you use your XL2(or XL1s) for? indie movies or other things?

this came off of another thread. just wanted to ask what do you or what will you use the XL1 or XL2 series DV cams for? a wedding? corporate training? make money through some scheme? indie movie? get rich schemes? etc? anything?

Rob Lohman August 5th, 2004 04:16 AM

If I ever get one it will probably be for shooting commercials and
doing indie movie work.

Bob Safay August 5th, 2004 04:43 AM

I do mostly short (10 - 12 min) info-videos to educate communities about hazardous waste sites in their community, and how the EPA is cleaning then up. My audiance is lower-mid level income families that do not have HD (these videos are show and given out at public meetings). I also use it to document hazardous waste sites and to do training videos. To me the XL1s and now XL2 are work horses that give me the best range of lens for the work I do, sometimes a wide angle for inside shots, sometimes a long telephoto for fires and such. Yes, someday I would love to do an indie, maybe after I retire. Bob

Nick Hiltgen August 5th, 2004 05:14 AM

IF I get an XL2 it will most likely be used to make commercials and short films. I would love to use it in some get rich quick scheme but my scheme's never seem to pan out. If my xl1 was any indication I will probably do a couple of event's in which I'm told I will get paid by check in the mail and then after the footage is submitted will never receive a check ::cough::craiglslist ::cough:: MY ideal use for this camera will be to produce quality DVD's of which I am completely confident that the camera can do. There is a .01% of anything I ever shoot going to film, and I will more then likely make very little of the cost of the camera back.

Bob, do you ever work with LAW enviornmental in kennesaw?

Cosmin Rotaru August 5th, 2004 05:33 AM

Hmmm.... I have an XM2 (GL2) that I use for weddings. Once in a while I get to shoot on small comercials (local station TV)...
I wonder if it worth upgrading to XL2 for mainly weddings.
I have the XM2 for a year and 1/2, and the zoom started to play tricks on me (as other users also reported). Before this XM2 I had an SVHS Panasonic (M9000) for about 8 years. Sold it in very good condition (no faults). I wonder if a camcorder like XL1S or XL2 would be better then my XM2 in this respect. Is that line of camcorder meant to function 10 years, or is that going to collaps in 2 years, like a "consumer" camcorder?! See, this is very important for me!

Jay Gladwell August 5th, 2004 05:35 AM

"There is a .01% of anything I ever shoot going to film,..."

Nick, that is the most refreshing thing I've seen posted here in a long time! Your candor is truly appreciated.

So many have whined about the "cost" of XL2, while in the same breath (as it were) they claimed that another reason they wouldn't buy the camera was it wasn't suitable for shooting for transfer to film when they were going to make their independent epic. If they can't afford the camera, they certainly will not be able to afford the cost of transferring to film!

Anyway, thanks for your honesty.

Too, I hope you find enough paying projects to will pay for the new cmaera!

Jay

Josh Allen August 5th, 2004 08:56 AM

I currently use my XL1 primarily for corporate training videos. I also do some motocross work that I hope to see more of.

I do plan to get an XL2, as I was considering another XL1 in the near future anyways. Most likely I will continue to use it for the same uses mentioned above.

I am very interested to see how the 24p does with motocross.

Barry Goyette August 5th, 2004 09:18 AM

I'll use it for:

Music videos, the occasional short film, travelogues, theatrical productions, and of course, picking up chicks (anyone remember this thread?)--

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4715

Barry

Dan Euritt August 5th, 2004 10:38 AM

picking up chicks? first time i read that thread, pretty funny stuff!

zero transfers to film in 10+ years of using canon video cameras... and zero desire to ever put anything from a prosumer camera to film.

Yi Fong Yu August 5th, 2004 11:16 AM

dan, there's more truth in that statement of picking up chix than you think!!! =).

i have the xl1s since january but have not shot a single short movie yet cause i have had no time. i bought it cause of a $500 rebate but i should have read the xl1s forum in more detail about news of xl2 and held off!!! i have shot a wedding for my friend (hence for free). other than that i have done nothing else with it. it's just sitting there collecting dust... what an expensive hobby eh? anyway i plan to shoot shorts and/or features in the DV format. i've got both the 16x and 3x lens. we shall see what happens during the rest of the year. i always thought that having the cam would motivate me to write more... but thus far it has not. technology doesn't make one an artist automatically. an artist is one that should be working continually... in that respect i'm sort of a 'hack' =). thus i'll be hacking away in the future... though i'd like to get the XL2 i wanna make a few things on my XL1s first and then sell the body and get the XL2 body.

Christopher Reynolds August 5th, 2004 04:09 PM

Yi Fong Yu, Im in the same ballpark, I got my camera to kick off my movie making hobby, and have done nothing thus far besides some free music videos, BUT a friend wants to pay me to shoot more videos for him, so, anything you do for free, and if you do it well, will spread quickly and help you start what you want to start doing!!! Keep at it. When I get off my bum, I want to shoot music videos short movies and some features for fun, hopefully try to mold a career out of it. I can't be doing home improvement my whole life, just isn't my bag. =)