What's the worst you can imagine? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 10th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #31
Trustee

I bet Jerry cost a lot.

Barry, thanks for the info on editing 35 - I didn't realize it was that easy. How much do the transfer to SD video and then recreation of the "decision list" on the final 35 mm negatives ultimately cost?

There's other factors too, right, like color grading? Can a feature on 35mm really be done for $50k including all of those things?

Finally, if anyone knows, is there any hardware out there for PCs that will capture HD-SDI from a tape deck and save it in a format editable by Vegas or any other PC editor?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #32
Capt. Quirk

"You get it transferred to tape and edit it just like as if you'd shot on a DVX or XL2."

And how much is the cost of film, development, transfer, dailies, etc? The main reason DV is so popular, in my opinion, is that it is faster and cheaper than film.

It costs $5-$50 for a one hour tape, depending on type of cam. It is immediately ready to view. *Disclaimer- I believe I heard somewhere...* Film will cost around $1,100 for 1,000 ft, which is 15 minutes? This is including development and daily prints. They'll get it to you as fast as they can.

Sure, there is a big difference in quality, but that would mostly only be noticed on a film screen. Depends on final destination mostly, the rest is various production costs and budget, and he may have backers that expect a return.

This has been my view, and not the views or beliefs of DVinfo.net, or it's members... :)
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #33
Trustee

Yeah on a DVD, film source or HD source should be virtually indistinguishable. In fact, even on a projector, 720p and 35mm are not terribly far apart. Look at Star Wars Ep. I - that was shot on 720p Varicams if I recall correctly. Ep. II was shot on 1080/24p Cinealtas and was virtually indistinguishable from 35mm.
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #34
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : I bet Jerry cost a lot.

-->>>

I heard he worked for free just so he could meet Superman...
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #35
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : I heard he worked for free just so he could meet Superman... -->>>

Huh! That's funny. I heard he worked gratis to meet Charles! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #36
Trustee

"rick berman (the producer) has said in an interview (search theforce.net for ep1 news) that lucas did insert a HD shot into ep1"

Rick Berman produces Star Trek.

Sorry but that doesn't make the rest of what you said very credible. :)

Anyway, back to Nick's project - shooting on the Varicam or even Cinealta would be just as good as film, for your purposes I'm sure. And it should be well within your budget. Not sure what the fixation with DV is.
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #37
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've split the Star Wars discussion to this thread. Please continue that conversation there.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders