DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Confirmed: XL2 has a 12-bit DSP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30428-confirmed-xl2-has-12-bit-dsp.html)

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2004 09:26 AM

Confirmed: XL2 has a 12-bit DSP

Just received this via email from Canon USA:

--------------------------------------------------------

Since the press release concerning the XL2, we have had many
inquiries as to the bit depth of its Digital Signal Processor (DSP).
The bit depth of a DSP is important because, as the number of
bits increases, the number of gradations processed and,
therefore, the quality of the image, increases. As a comparison,
8-bit processors use 256 gradations, while 12-bit processors use
4,096 gradations.

The XL2 has a 12-bit DSP, customized by Canon exclusively for
use in the XL2.

Joseph Bogacz
Assistant Director, Product Development & Support
Canon USA
Consumer Imaging Group
Video Division
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042

--------------------------------------------------------

The DSP column on the chart in my page "XL2 CCD Block Overview" has been updated accordingly.

Don Berube August 12th, 2004 09:35 AM

During our training and at the DV Expo East, many of us were impressed at how the XL2 output was very clean with minimal (if any) noise. It's nice to have all of that custom image control with 12-bit DSP. Very cool.

- don

David Ziegelheim August 12th, 2004 10:07 AM

Well, that is good news!

Now, who rents Canon XL1/XL2s in the NYC/NJ area? And do they also rent the Mini35?

Don Berube August 12th, 2004 10:13 AM

Here is a list of facilities in your area that rent:
http://zgc.com/zgc.nsf/902a2548f82c5...5?OpenDocument

- don

Barry Goyette August 12th, 2004 11:08 AM

Chris

Thanks for the good news. Although I've already ordered mine...this was the one issue that concerned me a bit about the xl2.

This is slightly off topic...but concerning the sensor dimensions hubbub of a few weeks back..I noticed that canon has not offered up any correction on their website....have you had any communication with them about correcting this?

Barry

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2004 11:19 AM

Hi Barry,

I mentioned it briefly to one of the marketing managers in their California office. He said they'd look into it. Meanwhile I'm preparing a brief explanation of the issue for him, which will basically state that if these are standard 1/3rd-inch chips (and they are), and if the 16:9 target area is smaller than the total CCD angular dimension (and it is), then there's no way that the 16:9 target area diagonal can measure 0.289 inch (as they state). I have a feeling that they worked under the mistaken assumption that a 1/3rd-inch CCD has a diagonal of 0.333 inch (we all know it doesn't, but I don't think they do). In fairness to Canon USA, they didn't build the thing; they're strictly marketing and sales. At least the DSP question has been sorted out finally... one battle at a time, as they say.

Yi Fong Yu August 12th, 2004 11:58 AM

hi Chris,

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...delid=10350#f0

"Because Canon utilizes a 12 bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor) maximum image quality is preserved."

has this info always been there or because of our insistence it was just recently put up on canon's offical xl2 site spec info?

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2004 12:02 PM

As far as I know, that line was just recently added.

Bill Pryor August 12th, 2004 08:10 PM

This announcement is unfortunate, Chris--all the critics who like to slam the camera before it's available for use won't have anything to do. They will become morose, depressed, sad...unable to go back and delete all those negative posts. What you should do is make up a list of all the possible negative things about the camera for them. That would be the gentlemanly thing to do. For example: it's white, and that's unnatural. A guy could set it on top of a white car and forget it was there and drive away and it could fall off, resulting in serious damage...all because it's white.

Don Palomaki August 12th, 2004 08:36 PM

Good news and info on the DSP issue. If we bat questions around enough the truth will emerge.

On CCD size, many folks are not aware that CCD size is a throwback to vacuum tube days and refers to the nominal size of the imaging tube used in those cameras, not the deagonal of the actual active area of the imaging sensor. The nominal CCD size is an "equivalent" number based on the old tube days, not an actual physical measurement.

If we look into the camcorder with the lens removed, we can see that the nominal active area of the 1/2" CCD in the canon L2 has an apparent diagonal of about 0.34" and the nominal 1/3" CCD in the XL1 is about 0.23" Lets see, that mans the 1/6" CCD in some newer consumer camcorders is closer to 1/9" inch actual doagonal area.

The moral of this thread is do not buy a white car.

And who really cares, it is the final image that counts.

David Ziegelheim August 12th, 2004 08:41 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : The moral of this thread is do not buy a white car. -->>>

What is wrong with a white car?

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2004 08:51 PM

<< all the critics who like to slam the camera before it's available for use won't have anything to do >>

Eh. They had their run. Besides, I'm sure they'll find something else about it to fixate on.

David Ziegelheim August 12th, 2004 09:00 PM

Now, how about a 12x3.8 lens with doubler?

Bill Pryor August 13th, 2004 08:44 AM

Yeah, and a viewfinder with underscan, and 2/3" chips, and color bars switch instead of in the menu and...oh wait, I can already get all of that. For a price. But not for under $5K. Dammit, I want new Toyota Land Cruiser, and I want it to get 40 mpg and I want it for $20,000.

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2004 08:54 AM

Is that all you want, Bill? You're relatively easy to please!

You do get a color bars button (with tone) right on the body. Hey, one out of three ain't bad. In fact, it's great!