DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Time lapse (plus shutter speeds) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30623-time-lapse-plus-shutter-speeds.html)

Nick Hiltgen August 16th, 2004 10:53 PM

Time lapse on the xl2?

I looked but couldn't find any information, I thought I remembered reading about it but perhaps not is there some sort of intervalometer on the xl2 (timelapse)? IF so what are the settings? thanks

Chris Hurd August 16th, 2004 11:11 PM

It does have an intervalometer; identical to the XL1S.

Nick Hiltgen August 17th, 2004 01:27 AM

Thanks chris, I don't know how I missed that! (even used the search function)

Chris Hurd August 17th, 2004 02:25 AM

Details as follows: chhose from intervals of 30 sec., 60 sec., 5 min., 10 min. and recording times of 15 frames, 30 frames, 45 frames, 60 frames.

Nick Hiltgen August 17th, 2004 10:04 AM

Awesome. thanks Chris!

Aaron Mcilvain August 18th, 2004 11:34 AM

I have been told that the intervalometer on the DVX100A work only in 60i and not in the 24p mode. Is that the same for the intervalometer on the Xl1s/Xl2?

Stefan Scherperel August 18th, 2004 11:38 AM

the intervalometer on the DVX works in 60i and 30P. It does not work in 24p, and i don't really see how it could as the interval recording time is set in multiples of 30. It is not hard, however to mix 30p and 24p footage on the same timeline, with full progressive frames, you just get a 20% slower result.

Joe Hudson August 26th, 2004 05:08 PM

So does this mean you can't record more than about 2 seconds of time lapse when played back (60 frames) with the XL2? also how long does the shutter stay open for each frame? e.g can you get really long light trail effects from filming traffic with it?

(sorry if these question are nieve.)

Aaron Mcilvain August 26th, 2004 05:43 PM

no worries,

while i've yet to use the time lapse on the cannon cameras,
I know that the operator has the option to shoot x amount of frames for your desired duration of time.

60i and 30p represent the format used and not the number of frames shot.

As far as the recreating the streaks on video, i can not comment.
Perhaps theres some sort of plug-in that resembles what is created when the shutter is left open to expose the film in a photographic camera, but not a video camera. I could be wrong cause never tried with the XL1s.

-a.

Nick Hiltgen August 26th, 2004 08:32 PM

IF I remember right you can get the shutter speed on the xl1 down to something like 1/8 which would give you the streaks I think you're looking for.

Marty Hudzik August 26th, 2004 08:40 PM

I thought I read that in Progressive mode the XL2 will not go to a shutter speed lower than the framerate. IS this right?

example:24p would be limited to 1/24 sec minimum....no lower than that. 30P would be 1/30th of sec min.

I would like it to not be this way but think it is. Anyone?

Christopher Reynolds August 27th, 2004 06:34 AM

Ive used all of the shutter speeds with my XL1s on 30p, but I can't say anything about 24p.

Joe Hudson August 27th, 2004 07:27 AM

thanks guys.

It sounds like with the shutter not going slower than 1/8sec, getting headlamp trails going right accross the frame or stars creating circles of light as the earth rotates and similar effects is out of the question.

Perhaps there is a way to program the dsp to accumulate multiple CCD exposures over however long and then save that to one frame on the miniDV tape. That would be really cool. Hopefully the API will allow that kind of tinkering. You'd probably have to do some MPEG style calculation of inbetween exposures so the time when the shutter is closed doesn't result in obvious breaks in light trails etc. in the final accumulated CCD image. Does the XL2 have a full, API accessible frame buffer?

Bill Anderson August 27th, 2004 02:00 PM

Or you could use a digital SLR for the duration of the timelaps sequence. This would allow for any length of exposure. Some very interesting imagery can be obtained this way. Better than HI def.

Mark Grgurev August 27th, 2004 05:47 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marty Hudzik : I thought I read that in Progressive mode the XL2 will not go to a shutter speed lower than the framerate. IS this right?

example:24p would be limited to 1/24 sec minimum....no lower than that. 30P would be 1/30th of sec min.

I would like it to not be this way but think it is. Anyone? -->>>

When I used the Xl2 at Dv Expo I remeber quickley going through shutter speeds and I thought I remember it going to 1/12 at 24p