DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   On the subject of the manual lens... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30643-subject-manual-lens.html)

Joel Guy August 17th, 2004 02:35 PM

On the subject of the manual lens...

Hi,

First of all, does anyone have any information on when the body only kits will become available. I'm split between my preference for the 16x manual lens, and my want of the XL2 sooner rather than later. I really want to buy the camera through ZGC in one of their custom configurations, packaged with the manual lens. Does anyone have definite ideas on when this might be. Also, how is the new 20x lens that comes with the XL2. I plan on shooting only dramatic shorts. Does anyone know of any advantage of the 20x lens over the 16x manual?? Would it be greatly beneficial to own both? I've tried to read as much as possible about the 20x, but without actually having handled it or seen it in action, it's hard for me to decide. Any thoughts, opinions, etc, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -

Joel

Ken Tanaka August 17th, 2004 03:51 PM

Welcome Joel,
As the camera is not yet shipping, and only pre-production units have been tested/inspected, I think you're just a bit early with your inquiries. Call ZGC to see if they can offer you some guidance concerning availability of custom packages, as they will be one of the few initial authorized dealers for the XL2.

I've not yet seen the new 20x lens so I can only relate to the 16x auto lens. But I would say that if you are genuinely planning to do mainly scripted, dramatic work the 16x Manual Servo lens might be a better choice. It offers much more direct control than the current standard lens. But you must note that it is a completely manual-focus / manual iris lens. So if you're not accustomed to managing your lens so actively you will need to take some practice time.

Greatly beneficial to own both? Only you could answer that. Of course you can never have too many lenses!

Here's more info on the 16x Manual Servo lens.

Charles Papert August 17th, 2004 08:30 PM

I think I would have to echo Ken's thoughts. If it helps any, Joel, I only shot dramatic work with my XL1 and basically never used the stock lens. It's nice that the new one goes even more telephoto than the old one, but I still wouldn't have any use for it. The manual lens is much, much better suited for dramatic work, although for me the older 14x manual (still available out there, and relatively inexpensively) has the slight edge due to the truly manual iris.

Yi Fong Yu August 18th, 2004 07:34 AM

what about the 3x lens? i just got it for shooting shorts as well.

and doesn't the stock lens do better DOF than 3x? i've not tried manual 16x so i dunno. the prob with that (imho) is that it ain't wide enough like the 3x. imagine a 3x (or 5x) that has the full controls of a 14x/16x manual... =).

Joel Guy August 18th, 2004 09:49 AM

Thanks guys. I suppose I will just have to wait for the release of the body only kits.

Charles Papert August 18th, 2004 11:24 AM

<<imagine a 3x (or 5x) that has the full controls of a 14x/16x manual... =).>>

I'd rather imagine a 16x that goes as wide as the 3x!

Yes, a longer (more telephoto) lens will be able to deliver images with less DOF as a rule. But then it's a telephoto shot, not a wide angle shot, so there are many other factors such as compression that identify it as such, beyond the DOF issue.

Yi Fong Yu August 18th, 2004 02:46 PM

but chris's chart on the lens available for xl cam series reveals that 3x is wider than the 16x.

Rob Lohman August 19th, 2004 01:27 AM

Yes Yi, that's correct. Charles was just expressing his "birthday" wish