XL2 Vs. DVX100 footage online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM   #1
DVX User

XL2 Vs. DVX100 footage online

we just did a quick camera test with both cameras.. You can check out the footage below if anyones interested:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/...num=1093127888
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

clarity

The clarity of Xl2 looks completely from dvx100.. Can you tell me is it possible to get the same quality with NTSC Model Camera. I think the lens is playing a key role in xl2... is it good for film look? a question.....no fireworks please
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think we cannot compare those 2 cameras this way.

First, Johnnie compared a "old" DVX100 to a XL2, the "new" DVX100A has better color rendition and dynamic range. That would have been a more accurate A/B.

Second, Johnnie's DVX100 had the following settings:

detail setting= -2 (footage looks really too soft)
color level= +2 (it increases noise)
color phase= -4
color temperature= -1 ( warm side=increased noise )
exposure= -3 (underexposed=even softer and adds noise)

Third, DVX100's image has been cropped for 16:9, it should have used the anamorphic adapter to retain its full vertical resolution for a 16:9 display.

But the XL2's image looks good for sure.

A DVX100A with the anamorphic adapter / XL2 comparo would be more accurate for a true full res 16:9 comparo
...but Johnnie's report tells me more about the XL2...and it could possibly have done better because it seems the cinematrix did not work on this preprod model.

...and i am open minded and curious about the XL2.

I stay tuned.
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Just for clarification are the lights setup exactly the same for both the DVX and the XL2? Also......how do we know for sure what settings were on the DVX as posted above?

And also can we get an idea of all of the settings for the XL2? I assume no gain and the iris was wide open and shutter speed was 48?

thanks,
Marty
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, to me it looks nicer on the divx. I am not talking wich has more quality but the dvx image looks better as final result. The XL2 footage lookslike a dead woman and is to sharp.
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

There's no such thing as too sharp. The images have not been exposed to retain matching luma values.
They're both within the "usable" spectrum.
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders