DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Rumour about the XL2 (perhaps PAL only...) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31174-rumour-about-xl2-perhaps-pal-only.html)

Seymour Clufley August 30th, 2004 01:19 AM

Rumour about the XL2 (perhaps PAL only...)

I went to my local Panasonic/Sony camcorder shop the other day. Despite the name, they also stock JVC and Canon camcorders and seem equally clued up on them as on the Panasonic and Sony models. I only ever go in to have a play around on their display unit XL1s.

Anyway, the last time I went there the guy told me the XL2 was due to arrive in early September. But the other day, he said it was due to arrive in late September.

He claims the reason for the delay is this: Canon sent an advance unit of the XL2 to the BBC. The BBC techies and camera people used it for a few days and gave it back to Canon, saying that they would be very interested in buying large numbers of XL2's as long as certain modifications were made to it. Apparently these modifications mainly related to placement of certain switches and knobs. However, he also mentioned the lens being modified.

Canon then set about making these last-minute modifications to the XL2 design and this is setting the release date back, as you'd expect, by a few weeks.

Now I have absolutely no proof of this story. All I can say is the guy in the camcorder shop didn't seem to be bullshitting. He said that the fact Canon gave advance units to the BBC and then set about carrying out the BBC's recommendations at such a late time demonstrated the extent of Canon's commitment to the XL2. And it certainly would show a determination to make sure it was as good a flagship model as they could have, if the story were true. I mean, if the XL2 was to be made good enough for the BBC to use it, it would be a damned good camera!

The same shop say they'll be selling the XL2 for around the £4300 mark, by the way.

Peter Wiley August 30th, 2004 07:45 AM

This story is hard to believe. The trouble is that all modern production processes require a great deal of planning, tool-making etc. that can take quite a while -- even in this "just-in-time" age. I can't image Canon making such revisions at essentially the last minute. The possible impact of moving switches would mean major revisions.

Now maybe this happened some time ago, early in the planning process. Maybe.

Maybe the BBC did put a large order that will get filled first ( a la the Mac G5s and Virgina Tech).

So there could be, as with all good rumours, a kernal of truth in there someplace. I guess we'll know in about a day or so.

Jonathan Noone August 30th, 2004 07:27 PM

Well I heard the same rumour and I'm in Birmingham!

I agee though, Canon won't be able to re-tool the XL2 in such a short space of time. However they will have time to adjust firmware etc to BBC spec.

To be honest, I can't see the BBC ordering all that many as they are a BIG sony buyer. Nearly every reality TV handy cam moment has been with a PD170 et al.

In fact I think their next bulk purchase will be a fleet of the broadcast XDCAM which is quite a bargain at 20K for digi-beta quality.

Looking forward to the Xl2, although I think I'll be buying one in the states. £4300 is too much - once again we are paying pounds for what the US pay in dollars. £2500 is more like it.

Best

Jonathan

Simon Beer September 4th, 2004 03:03 AM

Hi All,

There is indeed some truth in this story. A number of preproduction units have been sent to larger organisations in the UK for testing. Canon UK are taking this feedback onboard and software changes have been made.

Canon really are listening to what the pros want and are keen to offer a great bit of kit.

UK pricing is available on our company website and it is a lot less than the £4300 price! However it's not quite as low as £2500. UK availability is currently late September.

Cheers!

Simon.

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 4th, 2004 04:50 AM

Well, I made a prediction at the Canon (UK) launch back in July that I thought the BBC and other UK broadcasters would seriously consider the XL2 because of its 16:9 capability which knocks the PD170s out of the ring ;-)
The only problem will be with the researchers/assistant directors/tea-boys they give these cameras to. They seem to be happy to give a day's course to anyone and allow them out to shoot for broadcast - or am I just being cynical ...

Robin

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2004 08:49 AM

You're being cynical, but not too cynical... Goldilocks says "it's just right."

Software changes, I can buy that. But switch or button location changes, no way, that would involve changing the body moldings which is an extremely expensive and time consuming process. The bigger the corporation (Canon Inc.), the longer and more expensive it is to change hardware. But software, probably not as much of an issue there.

Bill Anderson September 4th, 2004 09:29 AM

What, the BBC, or anyone for that matter, won"t buy XL2s because there are a couple of knobs in a less than desirable location? Absurd.
Seems a bit late in the game (for this model) to even make suggestions, let alone demands, even if you are a fair sized organization.