DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony beats Canon to the punch in the 16:9 25p game (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31214-sony-beats-canon-punch-16-9-25p-game.html)

John Jay August 31st, 2004 03:55 AM

Sony beats Canon to the punch in the 16:9 25p game

Sony has released the PC350E which does 16:9 25p on a 1/3" CCD with outstanding low noise properties

see my review here

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=31187

Rob Lohman August 31st, 2004 04:13 AM

and why does it beats the Canon? I would consider one chip
a loss over a 3 chip. Since it will have a much lower resolution
at the same pixel count.

Don Palomaki August 31st, 2004 04:47 AM

The Sony lists "EIS" under Pro features?

Primary Color Filter for MioniDV appeared on the original Canon Optura something like, 6-7 years ago.

John Jay August 31st, 2004 04:53 AM

all valid points of course

however if you download the footage in the link provided then burn it to DVD and watch on a CRT monitor you will be pleasantly surprised

Kaku Ito August 31st, 2004 04:58 AM

Well, that goes the same for Panasonic NV-GS400. NV-GS400 gets really close to what XL2 can capture, but just don't have the same range of controll.

Rob Lohman August 31st, 2004 05:13 AM

Don: what is "EIS"? Is that electronic stabilization? I know about OIS.

Aaron Koolen August 31st, 2004 03:34 PM

Rob, yes Electronic Image Stabilisation.

I looked at that link - Damned that's ugly - I'd get laughed out of the shoot taking one of those along ;)

Aaron

Gints Klimanis August 31st, 2004 04:51 PM

> I would consider one chip
>a loss over a 3 chip. Since it will have a much lower resolution
>at the same pixel count.

Sensor area/light sensitivity considerations aside, a higher resolution single CCD should outperform a three CCD device in color resolution if there are at least 2x the total # of pixels. The additional pixels are needed for the color interpolation. For three chip devices with single sensors or720x480=345,600 pixels, a 3*345,600 chip device offers about one megapixel of full color resolution. The Sony sensor is listed with 3.3 Megapixels, though "camera mode" is listed as using 2 megapixels. So, I think the camera color resoltion is comparable.

As for light sensitivity, this new Sony device is listed as 5 lux. minimum, which is less sensitive than the VX-2000 3 chipper.

Don Palomaki August 31st, 2004 05:10 PM

1-CCD camcorders tend to lose color saturation as the light gets marginal. With good light, they can produce an excellent image, even if not quite as saturated as 3-CCD.

It boils down to meeting the the consumer/customer's expectations.

Low light rating are often meaningless among brands, and even within a brand unless the measurement conditions are specified; e.g., shutter, aperture, gain, image IRE produced from what reflectance target, and image noise elvel.

Riley Florence August 31st, 2004 05:57 PM

Even if they are first it doesnt mean they are better. Anyone remember Sega Dreamcast ... ? I barely do. Sega put out the first 128-bit system, but suffered severly in sales and support. First doesnt always mean better. Thats my two cents.

Tommy Haupfear August 31st, 2004 08:13 PM

I downloaded the video while at work today and I wasn't all that impressed. I've had my share of single chippers and their level of creativity is greatly reduced by the lack of manual controls and latitude found on 1/3" 3CCDs and larger.

Seems like anytime a new compact cam rolls out there is always someone claiming the image quality can compete with the larger cams. I think in the right situation with an ideal environment todays compact cams can come close but always fall short in overall performance.

I've owned a little bit of everything in the sub $4k range over the last few years and I'm not knocking the smaller cams as they are an amazing bang-for-the-buck.

Here are my cams from the last four years:

DCR-TRV120
DCR-VX2000
DSR-PDX10
PV-DV852
PV-DV953
NV-GS100
GR-DVL9000U
VL-AX1U
Optura Pi
Optura Xi
AG-DVX100A

Quote:

Anyone remember Sega Dreamcast ... ? I barely do.
Truly a great gaming system if you're using the VGA adapter and a PC monitor. Not to mention it didn't require a mod chip. :)

Pete Constable September 30th, 2004 06:24 PM

Besides it's made by Sony. Who'd bother. We'll sell you something, but bugger you when it comes to service. PC