DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 is out now?!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31308-xl2-out-now.html)

Bill Edmunds September 2nd, 2004 06:57 AM

XL2 is out now?!?

Is this a load of bunk or is it true?

http://www.normancamera.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=9549a001

Bill Ravens September 2nd, 2004 07:26 AM

several dealers have reported that canon has notified them that the camera "is in the mail".

Scott Moody September 2nd, 2004 12:28 PM

in stock at B&H 2:28pm, NYC

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=339002&is=REG

Barry Goyette September 2nd, 2004 02:59 PM

Mine should be here tomorrow. Seems that there are a few more than a "trickle" out there.

Barry

Guy Genin September 2nd, 2004 03:24 PM

ZGC, just shipped the new XL2 to the following rental:

Boston Camera
1686 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02135

DuAll Camera
231 West 29th Street, Suite 210
New York, NY 10001
+1-212-643-1042

Hand Held Films, Inc.
315 West 36 Street, Suite 2E
New York, NY 10018
+1-212-502-0900

MPS Studios
141 Regal Row
Dallas, TX 75247
+1-214-630-1655

If you are in the area go check them out!
More will be shipped tomorrow.

We are still waitting for the proper support bracket to fit the Xl2 on the Mini35. We are expecting them some time next week.

Pete Bauer September 2nd, 2004 03:40 PM

Yeah, I just got my FedEx tracking number from Zotz, with whom I'd pre-ordered. XL2 tomorrow! It does appear that initial demand is greater than supply, so ordering one now might entail a bit of a wait.

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2004 05:45 PM

Congrats -- be sure to post your reports!

(in a new thread though, please!)

;-)

Paul Matwiy September 2nd, 2004 05:56 PM

XL2 has arrived from Zotz Digital

First impressions are very nice. A bit heavier than the XL1, but the ergonomics are very pleasing. I really like the new 2 in viewfinder.

Shooting test shots this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

Aaron Koolen September 2nd, 2004 06:42 PM

You lucky buggers.

Paul, if you could shoot some stuff that has a high->low contrast edge that would be great, cause people have talked about purple fringing in those circumstances. Shooting up into a bright sky with a building edge or tree leaves in front of it might do it.

Can't wait to see the tests!

Aaron

Christopher Go September 2nd, 2004 06:59 PM

Paul, preproduction XL2 models did not measure settings using numbers but a visual readout instead. Can you tell us if this has been addressed in the shipping models? Can you indeed change Cinegamma, for example, using number increments (-3, +3)?

Greg Boston September 3rd, 2004 01:03 AM

I ordered mine a couple days ago from ZGC. They are supposed to get another batch around the 1st of October. I'm first in line for that shipment.

As a side note, as many others have mentioned in the sponsor's forum, it was a pleasure talking on the phone with these folks. I made sure to let them know how much I appreciate their sponsorship of DVINFO NET.

regards,

-gb-

Marty Hudzik September 3rd, 2004 06:49 AM

sliders can be easy too...

While I like numbers too I don't see a big issue with the sliders if that is indeed the way the settings are manipulated. I'm sure we will all come up with our own numbering system as we get familiar with it. Example: CInegamma could be 3 clicks to the right from center........red gain....4 clicks from center. Wouldn't we just start saying......Cinegamma +3, Red Gain +4. Blue gain -5 etc.....

I know it not "as" convenient as having the numbers display but I don't really see this as a problem. It could have an advantage too as the sliders can form a sort of "curve" if you will and even when we can't remember our exact numbers we can re=establish close to them by simply emulating the spatial relationship of the sliders we see on screen. Kind of like how we are assisted in remembering phione numbers and password by patterns on the keypad. Just my 2 cents!

Anxiously awaiting delivery of my XL2 before 3:00PM today! I'm getting the Century WA adapter and will post some images both with and without it so that everyone can give their opinion on wether it hurts the image quality.......other than the obvious distortion caused by the wide lens.

Johnnie Behiri September 3rd, 2004 07:35 AM

Hi Marty
Try setting up 2 XL2 cameras on location with "click left right" method,or try sharing with a college some settings in this great forum.It just does not work like that.

Johnnie

Marty Hudzik September 3rd, 2004 08:32 AM

I disagree. I do it all of the time with various software that uses sliders instead of numbers. Once we get the cameras I would think there are a defined number of increments on each slider. Say 10 to the left and 10 to the right. So a scale of -10 to +10 applies. Yes. You will need to click and count how many you are over. But it should be easily reproducable with a little work. So I say I set my black levels to +3. You just go in and move it 3 clicks to the right of center.

And while we are at it there is supposed to be a way to just connect 2 XL1's via firewire and transfer settings which makes it easier.

Having said this I would still prefer numbers. But it is still very doable like this and with just a little bit of extra effort very effective. Heck....even on the DVX where they use numbers you still have to go in and click for each increment. So the only real difference is now you need to count in your head instead of just reading the display. Yes it isn't quite as polished as the DVX numbers but it will work fine with minimal extra effort.

Barry Goyette September 3rd, 2004 08:46 AM

>>Try setting up 2 XL2 cameras on location with "click left right" method,or try sharing with a college some settings in this great forum.It just does not work like that.

Johnnie,

I'm going to agree with Marty on this...Canon has always chosen the graphical "slider" approach as compared to the numerical approach...they really are the same thing...and we have had numerous discussions on this board regarding settings where someone has posted a Canon custom preset like:

+2 color gain
-2 color phase
-2 sharpness
+1 setup

In all of the times I've posted settings like this...I think only once has someone asked what it meant....Anyway, I think both methods are valid, and useful, and while a numerical version might be preferred by some, it doesn't change the functionality or quality of the camera one bit.

Barry