XL2 first impression - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #61

Barry,

how about some stills from that ballpark, my dad said they did a real nice job with it! I lived a couple miles from there for fifteen years, my folks are still in that neighborhood above the airport. Thanks!
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #62
Regular Crew

i just received mine in the mail today...

i have a question for all you XL2 owners... the glass piece in the viewfinder... does it seem a little loose to you all? it still operates like a dream... but the glass piece right inside the viewfinder is a little wobbly...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #63
Trustee

Mine rattles a little...I haven't gotten in there to see whats up with it yet...

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #64
Regular Crew

its ALL GOOD...

i called customer service and told her about the Dioptircs and she checked all the other xl2s and said that it was designed that way....

btw... what's your custom settings looking like... what do you insist i do to obtain that "film" look...

thanks barry...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #65
Trustee

Kevin,

I haven't gotten that far yet...still trying to nail down the default "look"...usually I see some defect in the image that I'm trying to correct, and so far I'm not really seeing any problems, except for a slight red shift in the yellows...which I don't know if I can tune out with a preset....

Let us know if you come across any settings that work for you.

Barry

btw...thanks for checking on the viewfinder...I'm glad mine wiggles like everyone elses.
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #66
Warden

The diopter being loose is common on much more expensive cameras the the XL2.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #67

Barry Goyette writes:
>>>>>>>>"which I don't know if I can tune out with a preset....
Let us know if you come across any settings that work for you."

Barry, there is always the separate COLOR MATRIX controls (normally found on professional external Camera Control Units) which allow for independent incremental adjustment of Red, Green and Blue. Obviously, an engineer comfortable with shading cameras with a vectorScope will admire this feature benefit. I do know that you have tremendous eyes and making a fine-tune color correction adjustment with the Color Matrix controls is entirely within your skillset.

Let me know when you are ready to swap XL2 Scene Settings with me ;-)

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #68
Major Player

Barry,

Thanks for the previous response. I do have one more question though, sorry for my lack of knowledge:

Did you uprez the XL2 image? I'm just curious because I compared it to some 720p material and it was larger (granted it looked slightly softer)! What exactly went into adapting this footage for viewing?

I'm just trying to decide if HD is that much higher rez....
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #69
Trustee

Aaron

No, the footage is at native resolution (480x720)...shouldn't be larger than 720p(720x1280)...the only change I made was a QT preview "stretch" so that the footage would be seen in its proper aspect ratio. This can be removed by clicking normal in the movie properties>video track>size menu.

Barry
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #70
Major Player

Qusetion for those who have used both the XL1s and XL2:

Is there really a significant difference between the two in weight? I only ask because I have heard several people mention the heaviness of the XL2 but B&H lists the XL2 at a lower weight than the XL1s!
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #71
Trustee

Aaron,

yes the xl2 is significantly heavier...most of this is in the lens, but everything is a little bigger...the viewfinder, the body. Personally I find it a little harder to hold than the xl1s...(I think I'm the only one who ever liked the against-the-chest positioning of the xl1s).On the other hand the xl2's mass seems to stabilize it nicely. Despite its extra weight, the shoulder mount design makes it easy to get good handheld shots (certainly easier than the much lighter Gl2 or DVX100 with their true "handheld" designs).

Take a look at the new clip I posted. Note the stair shots...the daytime ones are on a tripod, the night shots are handheld...all at or about 20x zoom.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html

Barry

I've always liked heavy cameras...until I tried the light ones...
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #72
Major Player

I did indeed see the new clip you posted Barry. Very impressive :).

I suppose B&H must be giving the body only weight... that's the only thing I can think of..

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my many (and often naive) questions. Your support has been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #73
Trustee

the clip slowed down (frame-rate issues) in difference scenes. must've been the way it's been rendered or somn. ah well. good clip nonetheless. i like the fish in water shot. very crystal clear.
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Audio Question

Barry, the audio on that clip sounded fairly crisp. Was that the on-board mic? I think it would work well for ambient sounds.

Greg
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #75
Trustee

Greg

Yes...everything I've posted thus far is with the on board mic. Mostly with the audio levels set on auto. I shot a test interview last week, with a boomed shotgun and the sound was superb. As good as I can imagine from using an a camera as a sound capture device.

barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders