Best case for XL2? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #31
Major Player

<<I received mine a few days ago. While I don't have the XL2 to test in it yet, I can say that the bag is very very nice. You won't be disappointed.>>

Joel, can I borrow your's till it comes. No wait, you'll probably want to borrow mine till my case comes.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #32
Trustee

Has the XL2 been placed in a CCC-10 by anybody yet and how does it fit? Does the accessorie bracket on the back fit in there too?

I need to get a case immediately and this is the one I am leaning towards.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #33
Regular Crew

My XL2 is at home, I picked up my CCC-10 this morning. If you can wait until this evening, I'll let you know.
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #34
Trustee

My boss wanted me to order it today so I could have it next monday-tuesday. I may try to hold off. can you give me any feedback on what you think of it so far? I mean....the construction and design alone. Does it look really well made and does it look like it will hold the XL2 with bracket on it?

Thanks...
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #35
Major Player

Hey Marty,

I'm just calibrating monitors and packing for a shoot tomorrow. The XL2 fits perfectly into the CCC-10. Real nice case. I've always had my cameras carried in Pelican cases and the XL1s in the canon hard case. I've never been a big fan of soft cases like Porta Braces for cameras and monitors, which is why I got the Dave Riddle case system for the 8044Q.

That said, we're on the road a lot with tons of action footage over the next 3 months and needed something that could get around Olympic venues, airplane carry on etc. This case works because an intelligent bracing on the sides that while a soft case, definitely protects against bumps and pressured that could damage the VF specifically, and camera in general.

I took out one divider and adjusted the other to fit the camera with lens and mic and VF all in place (slid quickly back for the mic and to the right for the VF to be smart). I was able to comfortably fit the 14x manual lens beside it, tapes a lens cleaning kit in the front outside, dual charger and bunch 'o batteries in the back outside (15-20 hours worth).

I figure there's enough room in the extra compartment inside created by the divider to hold filters, a small field mixer /pre and/or a 7' LCD monitor.

Very ergonomic and comfortable, good build and the flaps open up for full clearance and close so that there's actually another aluminum "strut" to protect against any downward pressure on the VF area and camera top.

Best I've used, B&H has it with a free rain hood for the XL for around $220. This is the one to get. As far as the accessory bracket, I was just looking at that and would have to adjust the velcro divider forward ta couple of inches to fit it, but yes it will.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #36
Trustee

Thanks!

One other question. Anyone have any experience with the Ta100 tripod adapter?

Currently I have Bogen MKII tripod head with a large metal plate that mounts to the camera. THis plate gets in the way big time on hand held shots. Would the TA100 help with this? SO that The big plate stays on the tripod and I just mount and unmount using the TA100 quick release?

Thanks!
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #37
Regular Crew

B&H is where I got mine. Definitely the best deal. This bag is made really well. Good padding, etc. The only bag I've seen that may be better is made by Petrol (used to be the same owner of Kata). They have a port for the eye piece that is surrounded by hard plastic. They also have some hard cases that are covered in cordura so they look like soft cases. I don't think I'm allowed to say where I saw them because they are not our sponsors.

Old September 24th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #38
Regular Crew

OK, here's the skinny on the fit.

It fits (barely). Assembled, the eypiece and microphone are barely touching the sides of the bag. I would definitely remove this mount if I were to travel for any length of time. Lengthwise, no problem. Unassembled for air travel (apparently this bag fits in the overhead compartment) no problem. A good bag for shooting on the move-not the best protection for the eyepiece and (stock) mic but goes in and out of the bag (top loader) easily.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders