Another manual lens from Canon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Another manual lens from Canon?

There's often someone asking about the differences of the 14x, and 16x manual. Both have their pros and cons. I'll admit, I often find myself debating which manual to get - I only have the $ for one :)

A third manual lens would make a decision easier - One which could incorporate the longer telephoto, macro-button placement, and stationary barrel end on the 16x, and the true iris ring of the 14x. Basically combining the pros of both current manual offerings.

With the XL2 maintaining the XL bayonet mount design, the format will stay alive for some time. Does anyone think another lens will be made, and in your opinion, is there a need for it?
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Well there's certainly a need for a wider full manual lens. Apparently the 3x AF might be a bit too soft for the XL2, although those were suppositions, hardly proven facts as far as I know.

But I don't see Canon coming out with an other manual lens with a similar focal range to the 14x or 16x, what would be the point (unless they discontinued the 16x)?

Just come out with a new manual zoom lens with a 30-300mm range in 35mm equivalent and I'll be 1st in line to buy one. Heck just come out with XL primes! ;)
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I would certainly buy one if Canon came out with a wide manual lense. It would, in fact, be the most useful lense IMO.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hasn't it been that they've come up with a new manual lens everytime they've updated the camera? I don't know the exact history, but I think that after the XL1 they released the 14x manual. And after the XL1s they released the 16x manual?

So the logical thing would be to release another manual one. Hopefully it's not 20x, but maybe something like the Fujinon 12x conv. 29.8 - 357.6mm, which is described in the Watchdogs lens section.

It would be great if it had:
-30 - 350mm (12x)
-manual iris
-and maybe an OIS (Optical Image Stabilation). I'm not sure if it's possible to have this in a non automatic lens, but I see nothing in the way of it. Since it's a quite small camera, and Canon claims to make the best OIS in the world, and many people still use the manual for handheld shots, so why not introduce a manual with OIS...
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders