DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is there an anamorphic lens for the xl2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31795-there-anamorphic-lens-xl2.html)

Dwight Flynn September 12th, 2004 02:37 AM

Is there an anamorphic lens for the xl2

I am new to the xl2 so pardon me if this has already been answered. Is there an anamorphic lens for the xl2, if so who makes it?

Thanks

Nick Hiltgen September 12th, 2004 03:56 AM

Dwight, I'm not sure if you mean a cinema anamorphic lens (2.35:1) or a typical DV anamorphic lens (1.77:1 or 16:9) if it's the cinema style I think your best bet would be to go with a p+s technic mini 35 adapter with anamorphic primes. If it's the DV 16:9 any xl series lens will work as the camera has a native 16:9 chip set.

Barry Green September 12th, 2004 03:56 PM

Using a cine anamorphic lens on the mini35 with the XL2 would probably result in an unusable image. Cine lenses have a squeeze ratio of 2:1. The XL2 has a native aspect ratio of 1.78:1. Squeezing that with a cine anamorphic would give you an aspect ratio of 3.56:1, which would be fairly useless except for maybe some special-purpose web streaming video or something...

Dwight Flynn September 13th, 2004 07:33 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. I am thinking of a film transfer and essentially looking for cinemascope (as an option). So I was wondering if there is an anamorphic lens for this camera, the way there is for the pani 24p.

Thanks

Aaron Shaw September 13th, 2004 10:36 AM

Too bad there isn't a lossless means of getting 2.22 or 2.35.... I would pay some money for that capability.

Barry Green September 13th, 2004 04:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : Thanks guys for the replies. I am thinking of a film transfer and essentially looking for cinemascope (as an option). So I was wondering if there is an anamorphic lens for this camera, the way there is for the pani 24p.

Thanks -->>>

Century has just released a new anamorphic adapter that fits on the XL1's 16x manual lens. So if you shot with that lens, yes, you could use the anamorphic adapter for it. It's not an inexpensive option (at $1495.00 for the adapter) but it should produce superb results.

Dwight Flynn September 14th, 2004 08:19 AM

Barry, that option tends to break the budget at the moment. But it might be worth a rental just to see if it is a good option for the future.

Aaron Shaw September 14th, 2004 11:20 AM

wouldn't the anamorphic lense Panasonic designed for the DVX work on the Canon as well?

Barry Green September 14th, 2004 08:22 PM

Not really. I mean, it will, to a limited degree... it would theoretically work with any lens that has 72mm threads that don't rotate as you focus.

The thing is, the anamorphic adapter is optimized for the focal length of the DVX. It brings the horizontal and vertical planes into focus together at a "sweet spot" in the DVX's zoom/focus range, and the planes are further and further apart from each other the more you drift from that "sweet spot". It's not easy to get sharp focus at full telephoto with the DVX (it can be done, but you have to stop down the lens enough to bring the planes back into focus with each other)... and the DVX maxxes out its telephoto at just 45mm. On the XL1, you can go to 88mm... I think the DVX's anamorphic adapter would be impossible to focus accurately at 88mm. And the XL2's lens is even longer.

That's why Century developed a new style of anamorphic adapter, with separately-focusable vertical and horizontal planes, so you can accurately focus both planes at any focal length. (which is also why it costs $1500!)