DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 in L.A. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32026-xl2-l.html)

Barry Goyette September 16th, 2004 09:23 AM

XL2 in L.A.

For anyone interested in the Southern California Area. Canon is hosting a Demo of the Xl2 at Samy's Camera in Los Angeles this saturday. A note in their newspaper ad says that all attendees will able to purchase a camera at the event...and that the event is limited to 30(50?) people...I don't know whether that means they will have cameras there to take home or not....but it might be worth a call.

Barry

Nick Hiltgen September 16th, 2004 09:45 AM

Just an update on what barry said, I think the actual event is on sunday if you go to samys.com you can register to attend.

Barry Goyette September 16th, 2004 11:33 AM

sorry i read it this morning but didn't have the paper with me when I posted...Barry

Evan Fisher September 16th, 2004 12:02 PM

I was there yesterday. The event costs $50, free if you purchase a camera.

Nick Hiltgen September 16th, 2004 12:53 PM

IT seems odd that they wouldn't mention the 50 bucks in any of the announcements, are they going to hold people there until they purchase a camera? or I guess you get 50 bucks off the purchase of your camera?

Evan Fisher September 16th, 2004 01:23 PM

I don't know. Just repeating what I saw on a sign at the video department.

Nick Hiltgen September 19th, 2004 02:12 PM

SO did anyone end up going? was it 50 bucks?

Benny Ek September 19th, 2004 03:47 PM

Just got back

I just got back from it. Fairly informative and I didn't get charged a thing. They had cameras for whomever wanted to purchase. Although I didn't have enough $$$ Good answers to most questions people had.
Samys is a pretty good sized store. I hadn't been there before.
several people were able to get their hands on their very own camera.

Alfonso LeFeusch September 19th, 2004 05:38 PM

I went. It was free (but I bought one).

I thought it was pretty informative, and they answered our questions better than I expected. The video they showed us looked very nice. The 60i was sharp as a tack and the color depth was better than any prosumer camera I've ever seen. 30p looks even better than the old frame mode, which I loved. I was really surprised to see how much like film this thing looked. They also showed the 24p in 2:3 pulldown and with 2:3:3:2 pulldown, both were lit very professionally and looked fantastic, but a tad strobey when the camera panned. All in all it seems like you have the ability to make this camera look any way you want-- adjustable RGB, blacks, saturation and even features like skin tone softening. For multicam shoots, they've made it so we can beam settings from camera to camera via firewire. What's most exciting is that they have released the source to the public and they mentioned the Watchdog's idea to eventually have a forum where users can share settings electronically.

I will post my impressions as I use it but as far as the wishlist goes, I think Canon nailed it.

Rob Lohman September 20th, 2004 05:00 AM

Re: I went. It was free (but I bought one).

<<<-- Originally posted by Alfonso LeFeusch : What's most exciting is that they have released the source to the public -->>>

Release the source? To what? And where would this be?