XLR Connections at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 17th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR Connection Problems

I can't get my XLR cable to release from my XL-2. I am pushing the release button but I can't them to come loose (either one). It appears as if the release button is broke but both sides. Any suggestions other than sending a week old unit to Cannon for repairs?

Thanks
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ouch,
press the button and wiggle.

That really sucks I'm going to see if mine works now.
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #3
Wrangler

Do you feel spring loading when you push the release? if not, it may be broken. Be sure to keep the release pushed in while pulling on the connector shell. Is the XLR plug very tight in the jack or can you feel some play?

If the above fails it may be necessary to open the adapter casing to get at the back side of the XLR jack to release the lock, not a good home project while the unit is under warranty.
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried wiggling them until my fingers hurt with no luck hoping some how it would release. When pressing the release button you can see the XLR connector shells move up and when you release the button you can see it move down again so there is some play.

I called Canon support and was told I needed to send the unit in for repair. What is stange was they wanted me to send the entire unit and accessories, not just the body, in the original box boxed in another box. I kind of got the impressions they thought I purchased it as grey market and needed everything for verification. It came from B&H and I have the receipt so gives with that?

What makes matters worse is that I puchased a Canon GL-2 last year and had to get the recording heads replaced after the first tape as it only recorded on the left side of an image with no audio. I am not bashing Canon but I am not having the best of luck with new purchases.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just felt like I needed to post this.

Called B&H Photo today and told them about the XLR connector problem and they issued a RMA number to return the broke XL-2 and shipped a new unit overnight to me at no cost.

That is customer service.
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have bought from B and H for years, they are outstanding. I am glad they did that for you, beyond what I would have expected. And no, I do not work for them. Hope your new camera is troublefree!
Jim Exton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders