Viewing 16:9 Letterboxed Image via S-Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 20th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Viewing XL2 16:9 Letterboxed Image via S-Video?

If I'm not mistaken, the XL2 manual says that I should be able to view a 16:9 letterboxed image on my monitor if I play out via s-video. All that I see is a squeezed image (albeit a beautiful one). Is there some setting I've missed? Maybe my monitor is too old to recognize this format? Did I read the manual incorrectly?

Thanks.
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Evan, your monitor needs to havee 16:9 as a switchable option. If it's a broadcast monitor there's a good chance it does. If it's a Sony 8044/8045 for instance it will be an underscan switch on the back. Others like my JVC studio monitor (as I just discovered to my joy) has it as a menu option.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Evan this was recently discussed, I think you may have misread your manual, when played through an s-video it is 16:9 no bars, or a stretched image on a 4:3 monitor.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Upon rereading my manual, it does say what I thought. They just forgot to mention that you need a monitor that is switchable to 16:9 mode or a 16:9 native monitor.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

So clear this up for me. The 16:9 footage shot on the XL2 will play back on a 4:3 television set WITHOUT s-video, as..... what? Letterboxed with bars? Squeezed 4:3?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Squeezed 4:3 thru composite input
squeezed 4:3 thru s-video input unless you have a 16:9 native monitor or a studio monitor that can be switched to 16:9.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders