Xl2 For Independent Film - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 24th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #31
Wrangler

Alex:

Thanks for the nice words on the Seinfeld piece. That was a high-budget effort. I've done a few projects since that I think have some equally nice moments on a much more modest budget. For instance, we used the Cooke S4 lenses on that job, which are phenomenal; my last three Mini35 projects have been shot with 1st generation Zeiss superspeeds, which are about 20 years old and rarely seen any more. However, I'm delighted with the results.

As far as pointers...it's a long, long list, because at this point what we are really saying is "how does one shoot well?" A lot of this is predicated by the individual shot and the story and the style, so it's hard to give generic guidelines for cinematography. I've already seen poorly lit, exposed and composed shots made with DV cameras sporting 35mm lens adaptors, and I would personally rather see better crafted images with deeper DoF.

I recommend for anyone intending to output to 35mm that they shoot tests of whatever camera, format or lens system they are considering and send them to a lab that specializes in output to film, then screening the results. The stakes are really too high for this sort of thing to take anyone else's word for it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders