Another sound question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Contributor

Another sound question

We've all heard about the non-line level input of the XLRs...but, there is the possibility that is wrong. Yesterday I spoke with a friend of mine who has regular contact with a Canon rep because the organization has ordered several XL2s. He brought up the audio issue to the rep, who checked on it. The rep claims that the camera detects automatically whether there is mic or line level coming in. If it's line level, ie., from a mixer, the camera will switch over automatically. That's what he said. I only have this second hand and don't know if it's true. I know my friend is a pro and reliable. Could be the rep is full of it, doesn't know, or it is true. I'm wondering if somebody with an XL2 and a mixer might check this out. Should be a simple thing to do...just hook up a line from the mixer to a camera XLR, flip on tone from the mixer and see what happens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This has been fully tested and is not correct. The XLR inputs are MIC level only.

See thread for extensive info on this subject.
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You don't have to tell Bill to see that other thread. He started that other thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Contributor

Yeah, i started it and I'm still in the dark about it. I don't recall seeing anything about anybody actually doing a test to see if maybe the camera does really take a line feed after all. I didn't think of it either till I got this second hand info from the Canon rep. I really would like to know if it's true or not. My natural inclination is to not believe anything any salesman says till I check it out for myself. When I first heard about no line level switches, I was incredulous, thinking it had to be a mistake. So it does make sense that the camera might take care of the issue internally and automatically. That would be very cool if it did. So far, the XL2 is very close to being a terriffic camera for the money.
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed. I have serious doubts about the "automatic sensing" claim, but I'd really like somebody to try recording a mic-level source and then a line-level source through those XLR jacks and tell us what really happens.

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry, I didnt realize that.
I tested the input....it is MIC level input, not LINE level. I thought I stated that clearly in the earlier thread, but I guess I didnt.

Besides, I have never seen a camera that auto switches between line/mic. It is always a physical switch....I dont see how it could auto detect and switch this.

Regardless, it is MIC LEVEL only!
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

BTW Bill,
The camera will take a LINE input, but only thru the (unbalanced) RCA connector.
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Contributor

Yeah, I'm aware of the RCA line inputs. Weird to have it on unbalanced but not where you need it. I keep hoping the rep was right.
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #9
Trustee

Since there is a switch in the XLR inputs from MIC to ATTN, wouldn't this drop the input level down to LINE?

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

No, the XLR input is MIC LEVEL ONLY!
The ATT switch is a simple mic attenuator and doesnt even come close to allowing a Line level input.

Let this rest....the XLR input can NOT accept a LINE level without external help.

I own the XL2 and have personally tested this.
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I know we are trying to figure out if we have a "line in" and according to the manual (which seems to have some omissions and errors) there is no mention of one. There is mention of a "line out" which I have a question about.

In the audio setup mmenu, there is a setting "AUD. M. SET". And the choices are, "NORMAL" or "LINE OUT".

Page 28 of the manual mentions this setting and references to page 53 for an explanation. However, ther is no mention on page 53 or anywhere else for that matter.

This being the 2nd un/poorly documented item in the manual, no doubt there are more.

Any insight on what this setting is about would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Evan

Look at the very bottom of page 53, the last paragraph. This setting simply selects whether or not you want to hear the audio delay when you're monitoring with external gear (audio is always synced to video on the DV cassette).

Old September 26th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Oops, User error.

Thanks Chris.
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Don't some mixers allow you to switch between line and mic...if you have one such mixer, this wouldn't be an issue. Is that correct?
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #15
Major Player

Rick, mixers may have a switch between line and mic on input but not on output.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders