Novoflex adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 25th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Novoflex adapter

I just got my new XL2 and am very pleased. My main interest is in doing macrovideo of very small critters. My experience has been in still macro photography and use the Nikon D1x with the 200mm macro lens for that. I know that Canon makes a nice 180mm EOS macro lens and I presume that it can be used with my XL2 with the EF adapter. I have seen that Novoflex makes an adapter ring that allows use of Nikon lenses with a "Canon EOS Body" Does anyone know if the combination of the Novoflex adapter and the Canon EF adapter will allow me to use my Nikon 200mm macro lens with my XL2? It sure would be nice to use my Nikon glass instead of needing to purchase additional Canon lenses. Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Slosberg
http://critterimages.com
Phillip Slosberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Warden

I have no first hand experience with that exact combination. But I'm familiar with both pieces and it should work. The Nikon will need to be manually stopped down to adjust exposure. You can use the Zebra bars to judge exposure. You probably will have a blinking "no lens" icon in the viewfinder as well. That may be annoying, but I don't think you'll be able to disable it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the info Jeff. No problem with manual adjustment as manual focus and exposure is standard in macro work. As to the blinking "no lens" icon in the viewfinder, it will probably be less annoying than the mosquitos, convincing my wife that I need another new lens, biting ants and monkeys taking a dump on me......ahhhh, the joys of jungle photography! I do appreciate the info and will give the setup a try and drop a message back to the form as to how it works.

Phil Slosberg
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think there is a little mistake in your plan.

Novoflex offers an Adapterring for using Nikon lenses direktly on your Canon XL-Series Videocamera (Part No. XL-NIK). I've got this adapter for Pentax PK lenses. Pricing for Germany is about 169 Euro including VAT.
http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm
But there is always the 7,2x multiplication of you focal length, compared with still picture photography.

dietmar
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Just a followup. I got the Novoflex adapterring and it works perfectly. Great macro with my nikon 200mm macro lens although with the 7.2x multiplier I can probably get by with my 60mm or 105mm macro lenses. Just for the heck of it, I tried my nikon 80-400 mm lens and got an amazing view at 400mm, might be great for distant critters. Well, off to Costa Rica in a week and looking forward to trying out the new video toys. By the way, you were right Jeff..the "lens" warning does remain in the viewfinder, but it is amazing how quickly you get used to and ignore it.

Phil Slosberg
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Warden

Thanks for the update Phillip and good luck on your upcoming trip.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders