16x9 XL2 footage question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

16x9 XL2 footage question

Hey all,

I have to say that this forum has been very informative to me and I have been reading for quite some time now. I recently purchased the XL2 and have a question about editing 16x9. I use Final Cut Pro HD and noticed that when I import footage shot in 16x9 24p using the advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal through capture, it automatically letterboxes my footage in to fit the 720x480 DV frame size. My question is: should I edit it this way or capture and edit the footage using an anamorphic capture and timeline preset. I tried this (by creating custom capture and timeline sets - basically using DV/NTSC 48Khz with Advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown and checked the anamorphic 16x9 box) and it works (I'm editing it with a 16x9 frame size). Is there any difference? Is either one preferable?

Michael
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't use final cut but I'd venture to guess that you don't want to work in 4x3. Using 16x9 and authoring a real 16x9 DVD will allow for people viewing with a widescreen TV to see a widescreen full presentation. Users who watch it on 4x3 should have it letterboxed automatically for them.

I use premiere pro 1.5 and this method works great for me.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes,
it works the same with Final Cut Pro.

the true 16:9 DVD program will display 16:9 on a widescreen TV and will automatically display letterboxed on a "normal" 4:3 TV.
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys ... thats what I thought. Give me a week or so and I may be able to post some XL2 16:9 24p cinegamma footage up since thats what everyone wants to see.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Tourist

Hi. I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to see XL2 24p footage in either or both 4:3 and 16:9.
Do you have footage posted that I can see or know of someone else that does?

Thanks
Oskar Soltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Oskar - There is a thread called "Some Zoo footage..." on page three. Someone else posted some zoo footage too, I can't remember which is which, but both were excellent and a really good example of the colors and resolution of the XL2.

I am not good at cutting and pasting links. Search for "zoo" in the XL2 section, you will find it.

Also, there is another clip someone shot in Italy. A mountain village. That is outstanding as well.

All three of those are what has me wanting to buy an XL2.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders