Canon 3x wide angle lens - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM   #151
Obstreperous Rex

That little red light by the power dial is tiny. You have to kind of train yourself to look for it each time you put the camera away (or when you change the lens).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:36 AM   #152
Regular Crew

Hi Scott,
I'm from Italy, and finally I received my 3x wide lens and formatt fm-500 matte box.
It's a wonderful setup and I can confirm there's no vignette using 3x wide lens, matte box filming in 16:9!!!

Bye

Michele
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:24 AM   #153
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Go
Actually, the reason we see so few reports of using the XL2 with a matte box is because matte box manufacturers only just started producing camera plates/rods supports for the XL2.

At least this was the case for Chrosziel who only announced their XL2 rods support just last month and in fact I'm not even sure they're shipping yet (they are however, available now for order).
I can confirm, that the Chrosziel support rods and camera plate for the XL2 are available. I got mine about 2 weeks ago.

EDIT: I just had a look at the date of your post, Christopher, so I guess you are aware, that the Chrosziel stuff for the XL2 is availbale by now. I better read carefully before I post a reply!

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM   #154
Regular Crew

I have used the Cavision mattebox with the 3X lens and was very happy. It did not vignette. I recently sold it on ebay and the buyer wrote back that he was very pleased (he was also using it on a 3X).

I also have a used 3X lens in mint condition I may sell if anyone is interested. We just dont use it that much, it was probably used a dozen times.
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #155
Tourist

Wanted: 3x lens

Greg,
I am interested in your 3x lens. How much are you asking?
Thanks,
Tony
Tony Smusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM   #156
Regular Crew

3x wide on XL2

I have noticed some threads on the 3X not maintaining focus after pulling back from telephoto (backfocus issue?) Some said they sent it back to Canon for calibration to the XL2. Didn't seem to be a problem on the XL1/s. Anyone know if they recently bought a 3X and have had issues? Possibly some new batches have been modified. This is an issue I can't deal with given my fast pace of shooting, so if anyone can chime in, it would be appreciated.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #157

I recently shot a documentary and 80% of it was shot with the 3x. I didn't have any problems.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #158
Major Player

Ed,

I got my 3x a month ago and no problems. It is a great lens!

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM   #159
Trustee

No issues here either...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:23 PM   #160
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM   #161
Trustee

I had problems with the 3x on mine. It was fine outdoors or when the lighting allowed for a f5.6 or so. But when in lower light settings at f1.8 to f3.2 I would zoom, set critical focus and zoom out. The image absolutely went soft and a minor tweak on the focus pulled it in. Textbook backfocus issue.

I was borrowing it so I could not send it off for calibration to see if that fixed it. Having said that I must say that the wide end of this lens, when properly focused (which was easy in good light) looked amazing. I'd love to try another one if someone will loan me theirs!

For those without issue.....did you buy it new from Canon since the XL2 was released or are these 3x units you are using old stock from xl1 days?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
For those without issue.....did you buy it new from Canon since the XL2 was released or are these 3x units you are using old stock from xl1 days?
I bought my 3x when I bought my first XL1 years ago. So I guess that would be considered "old stock."

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #163
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
I bought my 3x when I bought my first XL1 years ago. So I guess that would be considered "old stock."

Jay
Jay,
It worked great immediately or did you have to send to Canon for a backfocus adjustment? Also....you have no issues even in low light with the iris wide open? That is where I saw the problem. I shot some stuff outside and that all came out great. But I was always at f5.6 and above so the backfocus issue didn't rear it's ugly head there.

I really thought the 3x was a great piece of glass and would love to use it again if I can straighten out this one problem that I "personally" saw.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #164
Regular Crew

mine works fine. i bought it way after the xl2 came out. the guy at the store said it was sent after the xl2 was distributed so i assume it was calliberated or something.
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Jay,
It worked great immediately or did you have to send to Canon for a backfocus adjustment? Also....you have no issues even in low light with the iris wide open? That is where I saw the problem. I shot some stuff outside and that all came out great. But I was always at f5.6 and above so the backfocus issue didn't rear it's ugly head there.

I really thought the 3x was a great piece of glass and would love to use it again if I can straighten out this one problem that I "personally" saw.
No, It's never seen Canon since the day it left. I've had no issues in low light. The doc I referred to was shot in low light (usually with the auto gain).

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders