Canon 3x wide angle lens - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 16th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #271
Obstreperous Rex

That's right -- sounds like there's no back focus problem. The lens is working as it should. If the autofocus hunting annoys you, just turn off autofocus and control focus manually.

The procedure of zooming in to full telephoto and setting focus is known as critical focus. Once you do that, everything within the zoom range should stay in focus. It's a good shooting habit to get into.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #272
Regular Crew

Jarrod, you are right after I test what Chris, described then I put the lens setting to auto focus now it focus good even I zoom in or out. Thanks Chris! let put this issue for the record ;}
one more thing why my GL2 with adapter lensWD58 is wider than my XL2 with 3X? all I know the 3X lens is wider than GL2/WD58. any input? Thanks

Christian

Last edited by Christian Mallari; October 16th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Christian Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #273
Regular Crew

Anyone? why my 3X lens is not wide enough compare to my GL2 with lens adapter WD58?. all I know the 3X lens equivalent 24mm in a 35mm film. it seems only give like 30mm. any input why? thanks

Chris
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #274
Trustee

You need to be in 16:9 to get something close to 26mm (in 35mm equiv) with the XL2 and the 3X lens. In 4:3 you only get about 32mm wide.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #275
Regular Crew

Thanks Jean! I have no luck about focusing this lens still the focus problem was there even I do what Chris described the issue is there. everytime I zoom in or out is not focusing few seconds and afterward is focus right. the issue is like not sychronized the focus (sorry if not right term). I think I give it a try to calibrate this lens. it might be fix this issue.

Chris
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #276
Inner Circle

Christian,

Understand that there is one motor, that drives the focus AND zoom servos, so it's not uncommon to have a drift in the zoom.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Christian,

so it's not uncommon to have a DRIFT in the zoom.
Richard, pls. being not english mother tongue would you pls. explain in easy english. you mean not zooming fast or smoothly? I do smooth zooming. Thanks!

Chris
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #278
Inner Circle

There is only one motor in the lens.

The motor has to move the focus, AND the zoom.

When you are doing both at the same time, SOMETIMES the focus will slip.

I still cannot say that your lens is working properly. IF you are concerned, send it to a repair shop for service.

What language do you speak? We have a wide range of members across the globe. Perhaps someone can address you in your language.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #279
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard! now I know what you mean. I don't do sametime moving the focus and zoom. this is what I guest when I try to zoom in or out the lens is abit late to response the focus. thats why in few second is not focus well and then focus right. the timing of the focus is not sychronized when you zoom in or out. anyway thanks to all and just put this issue in the record.
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #280
Regular Crew

how much do they charge you when you send your lens X3 for re-calibration? I brought my lens in a shop here in Tel-Aviv to fix the problem about zoom in-out. the guy check the lens and see the problem and I even tell him this is an issue to the camera XL2 but to the XL1 is ok this lens. I ask to adjust the lens with this camera XL2 and he say if he adjust the lens to my XL2 it might not work ok to the XL1. I told him its ok because we don't use this to XL1 and then he sugggested me if I want to fix that problem he need to change inside the lens and cost 450$. I said I bought this lens 500$ and the repair is 450$ (HOLY ISRAEL). he started to tell me may be less and if I want he will check the price in Canon europe how much the cost but for sure it won't less 350$ the price. now this final question, why you here when they fix your lens charge less cost and they just adjust your lens, not even change anything in your lens which is the same issue of my lens. this is my guest that the guy wants me to spent me more money so he will earn rather that just to adjust only the lens. if this true, is he, responsible using he's license to canon as a authorize technician and then at the same time earning more money to the people who doens't know in technical. this is the way sometimes they do here. can I report this to Canon? Thanks

Chris
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #281
Regular Crew

3x XL2 lens work on a Canon SLR?

I'm looking to buy an SLR and want to go Canon, but on my budget the Nikon D80 is looking pretty sweet. I might be able to squeeze a few more bucks for the Canon 20D or 30D, if the 3x XL2 lens will work on a Canon SLR.

Anybody know?

thx

BO'B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #282
Major Player

It works the other way, but not in that direction. You can buy an adapter to put Canon EF lenses on an XL body (although there are limitations that make it not all that useful), but you can't put the XL's lenses on a Canon still camera
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #283
Trustee

Canon XL 3X & 20X lens hoods - lock positions

Together with my .7X and .5X wide angle adapters, I have decided to pack a 3X lens along with my 20X lens (and an arsenal of Nikkor optics!) for my next expedition. I’ll be leaving in a few days, so a quick response will be a big help.

For those of you who already own both 20X land 3X lenses, could you please check if the lens hoods from both are interchangeable? (I don’t have the original Canon 3X hood).

The 20X lens hood bayonets OK on to the 3X lens, but the bayonet lock fitting (on my particular one) is different, so the 20X hood locks in a slightly off-centre position (which would cause it to vignette at the extreme corners – the normal unlocked position of the 20X hood on the 3X lens does not cause any vignette).

If the 20X and 3X hoods are supposed to be interchangeable, then it means that the locking front bayonet at the front of my particular 3X lens has been fitted – with the three tiny screws - slightly off-centre.

Unfortunately, both my lens bellows and Matte Box vignette very slightly at the 3X widest setting, so I would like to use an original 3X lens hood (or my 20X hood).

One nice thing is that the new Red Eye .7X FX HDV adapter work on both the 20X & 3X lenses (and hopefully the new 6X lens) so I look forward to seeing wide-angle and extreme wide-angle results for above and underwater shoots during the next few months.

I have thought of just buying a simple 72mm thread wide lens hood, but most I’ve so far tried still vignette slightly with the 3X lens.

So, if anybody has both lenses, please just try to bayonet the 20X hood onto the 3x lens and see if it locks in the correct position.
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #284
Trustee

I've just been told that the 16X and 3X lens hoods are interchangeable. Strange that the later 20X lens hood locks in place but at a different angle than both the 16X and 3X hoods...
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #285
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have a Canon 20X and a 3X wideangle. I just tried what you had asked and did not have any luck. I compared the grooves on each hood and they differ. They will go on but not straight. In other words, if you put the hood on the other lense or vice versa, it will sit sideways or at an angle.

Who ever told you that is correct.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders