Canon 3x wide angle lens - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:10 AM   #31
Major Player

My 3x lens goes to every shoot. This is an invaluable tool for scenes that require massive attention to the foreground. As for barrel distortion, this is only present to the highly trained eye. You will see vertical elements slightly distorted (curved) at the edges, but it is not a distraction to the viewer. I guess the big benefit is that you are not adding extra glass. I have never used add- on devices to the front of the 16x or 20x so in that regard I can't comment.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:57 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

A big advantage to the 3x lens is that it's much lighter in weight compared to any other XL lens (20x or 16x, auto or manual) having a wide-angle adapter mounted on the front.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:28 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ok, so have anyone tried a century optics .6 or .7 adapter on the xl2? ...I wrote an email to century optics asking if the .7 would work on the xl2 and they sent back an email that said something along the lines of.

"WARNING, don't attempt to place your .7 converter on the XL2, we have not done any testing with that adapter and the xl2"

So if anyone has tried the Century .7 on their xl2, I'd like to know. And if anyone has an opinion as to why it wouldnt work, please respond.

thanks,

.j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Here's why it won't work. Century is developing a fix for this issue, though.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Why couldnt you just put a UV filter on the 20x's lens ..then put the .7 adapter on the UV filter?

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think you'd want to stress the UV filter with the weight of a WA adapter in front of it. That's just asking for trouble in my opinion... way too delicate.

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:05 AM   #37
RED Code Chef

Also the more glass you add the more chance of (bouncing)
reflections and whatnot.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:08 AM   #38

3x lens is not "soft" on XL2

I just did a shoot for a client this past week-end. It was all interiors in tight locations for a real estate developer on Miami Beach (800 sq. ft. for $1 million--whew!). I had no choice but to use the 3x on this job.

I had read here earlier (prior to the camera's release) that using the 3x lens on the XL2 was/would giving/give soft images. Well, I'm here to tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. The images I got were clear and sharp!

From everything I've seen this camera delivers, period! I can only chalk up the early negative comments to sour grapes.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #39
Trustee

Jay

just curious...your experience matches mine for the most part...but have you seen any of the back focus issues I noted in my posting here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=32610

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #40

Barry--

No, I didn't see that on any of the footage I shot and there were several zooms, both in and out. Was that on manual focus?

Jay
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #41
Trustee

It's mostly noticeable on when focusing on relatively close objects 3-5 feet. Manual focus, but also on quick zooms in Autofocus.

Barry
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #42

This week-end I was shooting, in addition to the tiny apartments, an architect's model of the building complex. At times I was maybe just a foot or two way when zooming out and in on the model, maybe three at times, but never five or more with the 3x. And I always shoot on manual focus.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jay
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #43
Trustee

sounds like it's just my lens...thanks jay.....1.800.call.canon.

Barry
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #44

Barry--

Just to be totally up front here, I'm not a "technical" person when it comes to all this. Although I've had formal training (many, many years ago), most of what I do is what I would call "flying by the seat of my pants." I know what I want. I understand what I need to do to accomplish it. But outside of the tools and methods I use, don't ask me any "technical" questions. I can't discuss the curves, knees, etc., like you and some others here do. My poor ol' brain has limited disc space, so I'm constantly dumping old stuff to make room for newer more important data!

The client tells me what they want the image to look like and I deliver it. As long as they're happy, I'm happy!

Best of luck with resolving your focus issue!

Jay
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Besides not having full zoom through, is there anything wrong with the century optics .6 adapter for the xl2? I mean, is it going to give a clean image?

My goal is to get a good wide angle image from the xl2. I realize that the 3x lens would achieve that, but then again i dont want to shell out 1,200 bucks. Besides a couple of the obvious things, like "more glass" etc ....are there any real concerns with the .6 adapter?

thanks

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders