DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32754-xl2-companion.html)

Alexis Vazquez September 30th, 2004 06:37 AM

XL2 Companion

I own a new XL2 and a XL1s, now I'm in the need of a third cam. This one must be smaller, not as heavy as the XL's. One with a similar image as the XL2.... not sure about the GL2, any advice?

Why need can't be a XL2? The cameraman is actually a girl.... with no a strong arm. Tripod is not an option here, she need to moves a lot.

BTW the Canons GL2 $250.00 rebate ends today....

Alexis

Stefan Scherperel September 30th, 2004 08:34 AM

If your looking for a camera with a similar image to the XL2, you probably wont want to hear this, but your not going to find it with the Gl2. The closest camera would probably be the DVX100a. plus it's size more fits the discription of what you are looking for. But how come the "girl" cameraman doesn't want a shoulder mounted camera? What kind of shooting are you doing? Sure the DVX is lighter than the XL2, but I bought a DV rig pro (shoulder mount system) to keep all the weight off of one arm. The thing gets heavy after a little bit of shooting.

BTW, I don't know if you want to be making statements allong the lines that girls are not strong enough to use the XL2. I don't know if that is how you meant it, but that is how it sounds.
Anyways, good luck

Alexis Vazquez September 30th, 2004 08:57 AM

<<<--

BTW, I don't know if you want to be making statements allong the lines that girls are not strong enough to use the XL2. I don't know if that is how you meant it, but that is how it sounds.
Anyways, good luck -->>>

Thanks Stefan for your comments, and no , no statements about the girls... She has saved my life a couple of times (filming I mean).
She's always on the run, moving as fast as she can just to get those hard/different angles I can't because of the heavy stuff.
Sometimes in the middle of a crowd, can you imagine a rough turn with an XL2 and a shoulder mount? For sure you'll be hitting someones face, and I don't want to even think about that.

BTW
What focus controller do you use with DV Rig Pro, also what Cam do you use? I'm planning to get the DVRig for the XL2.

Searching for info about the GL2 is not an option, I read a lot of weird things like shutting down, dead pixels, tape eject, so I'm looking for that extra Cam to make my life easier, not a headache.

DVX100a looks like the right one but if I could find another a little less expensive will be better.

Keep on
Alexis

Barry Goyette September 30th, 2004 10:23 AM

Alexis,

I think the DVX100A is your best option...my tests have shown that it produces a very similar look to the xl2, and certainly both cameras have enough image control to nail each others "look", which will be important come editing time.

On CameraGirl...I'm a big fellow...and I can't hold the DVX still for anything...while it is light for its size, it is big for a handheld camera, so I almost always use it with a shoulder brace...I prefer the Xl2 for handheld work, more stable when balanced on the shoulder.... the DVX for tripod stuff. The Gl2 is a much lighter animal, but matching it in 16:9 would be a problem---4:3 not so bad.

Barry

Alfredo Castil September 30th, 2004 03:27 PM

another potion would be the panasonic gs400, it's light, reliable and has an excellent picture. As well as the manual controls you want, pretty affordable too.