XL2 4:3 Image Quality Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 4:3 Image Quality Question

Having started with the XL1 and then moving to XL1s I'm fairly familiar with what we can and can't do with our XL1 series cameras (we have 16X manual and auto, and wide lenses). We also use an Ike HL-DV7W 16:9-4:3 camera and a couple of DVC200 4:3 cameras. I have found that picture resolution and sharpness is noticeably better on the Panna and Ike cameras (makes sense) and therefore use the XL1s accordingly (tighter shots). We shoot both music and performance videos (mostly 16:9) and TV commercials (all 4:3).

Now to my question... How sharp is the XL2 in 4:3 compared to the XL1s? I would probably buy an XL2 just to have another native 16:9 plus easily hand held camera for our music work but it would really make my day if it was better than the XL1s for 4:3 commercial work. If anyone has experience with the XL1 & 2 for 4:3 and could give me some insight I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The XL2 utilizes 350,000 pixels for the 4:3 aspect ratio, compared to 250,000 pixels in the XL1S. You could easily dial the XL2 to mimic the XL1S using the Sharpness adjustment in the custom presets menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Chris. I was more wondering if it was possible to get the XL2 closer to the Panna or the Ike in 4:3 then the XL1s can get as far as detail.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : The XL2 utilizes 350,000 pixels for the 4:3 aspect ratio, compared to 250,000 pixels in the XL1S. You could easily dial the XL2 to mimic the XL1S using the Sharpness adjustment in the custom presets menu. -->>>
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders