DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Where's the XL2 footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/33289-wheres-xl2-footage.html)

Mark Grgurev October 11th, 2004 06:05 PM

Where's the XL2 footage?

By this time, I would have thought that there would be alot more XL2 footage on the internet. Why isn't anyone(With the exception of a few people like Barry Goyette) posting footage?

Dennis Hingsberg October 11th, 2004 08:31 PM

I expect it will be a while before we start seeing more footage shot with the XL2, and there are several reasons for this.

I feel the XL2 mainly completes with other 24P cameras in it's class... (which really means the DVX100 by Panasonic) and for existing XL1 or XL1s owners one must really evaluate other advantages of going XL2.

Consider the market for 24P cams which has been saturated by the release of the DVX100 which has been out for well over a year now. Anyone who likely wanted 24P now owns a DVX and isn't about to trade it in for the XL2 which not only costs more, but would require a significant reinvestment to be made towards accessories, possibly filters, lenses, etc..

The customer base Canon lost due to the delayed release of a 24P prosumer camera will require a tough sell to bring back. The difference between the XL2 and DVX is subtle in my opinion - not night and day so what would it really take now for someone to leave the DVX for the XL2? Maybe the 800k pixel XL2 PAL version, but you'd only see the serious film makers exploring that route. And where does Sony fit in? It looks like Sony will skip the 24P era all together and get straight into HD which will surely offer 30P and 60i - but not 24P.

Another reason you won't see a load of XL2 footage online is because not everyone who buys an XL2 belongs to an online forum or community - and what's to say these people would even have the time or space to post footage?

The release of the XL2 is a very different situation when comparing it to the DVX and because there won't be as much of an explosion or hype surrounding the release of a camera like it this time around, we could be waiting a while to see something that really shows the XL2 kicks unfortunately (and sadly).

At the time of this writing I've owned the XL2 for just about a week now and have not been able to shoot anything worthwhile with it yet to post. But when I do, I will. I just don't feel like shooting cars in a parking lot or cars driving through an intersection (no offense to anyone) and would prefer to get some dolly movement, stimulating visuals or acting to really show the limits that the XL2 can be pushed to.

I was actually suppose to post some footage of the XL2 using the mini35 in the P+S Technik section but found out I can not connect the XL2 to our XL1s configured mini35 without an upgrade kit from ZGC or P+S Technik. The saga continues...

Matt McDermitt October 11th, 2004 08:52 PM

^ Same. I've owned the camera for over 2 weeks and have shot a couple of leaves... I'm making a short that will be out sometime next month but until then...

matt

http://digitalinterference.net
Http://MattMcDermitt.com
info@mattmcdermitt.com

Chris Hurd October 11th, 2004 10:06 PM

Dennis Hingsberg, that was an excellent summation and I agree with you 100% right down the line there. Very well said. Many thanks,

Deron Bauman October 12th, 2004 12:28 AM

You can find a handful of XL2 clips filmed in 24p here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=XL2

A. J. deLange October 12th, 2004 03:58 AM

I've put about a minute's worth at http://homepage.mac.com/ajdel/FileSharing5.html. It's 201 Mbytes of 16:9, 30p, manual exposure control with shutterspeed of 1/30, the stock lens and white balance set before every (well, almost every) shot with an Expodisk. I've got some sunlight shots as well as some more difficult lighting situations so you can get an idea of how it performs in various conditions. No post processing i.e. the clips were just concatenated in FCP and saved as a Quicktime file. Don't forget to check that the High Quality bit is set in your QT viewer (or open it with an editor) before looking at it.

A.J.

Richard Lubash October 12th, 2004 10:37 AM

Darn A.J. those colors sure look great! For that matter all the footage looks great! What did you have the gama set to? That looks soooo much different than what I see from our XL1s. Thanks for putting it up there definitely worth the download time.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

<<<-- Originally posted by A. J. deLange : I've put about a minute's worth at http://homepage.mac.com/ajdel/FileSharing5.html. It's 201 Mbytes of 16:9, 30p,..............A.J. -->>>

Marty Hudzik October 12th, 2004 11:18 AM

When I start to download it says it is a .gen file. What is that? Or do we just rename it .mov when its done?

Dennis Hingsberg October 12th, 2004 11:59 AM

Again no offense to anyone's efforts here, but I think what we are all dying to see (well, at least I am...) are "production efforts" not "test shot efforts".

Most of those links contain edited point and shoot "reality" clips that don't have much of a production element behind them. A dog running around, people climbing stairs, cars driving around, etc..

Don't get me wrong, it's always great to see initial results from a new camera without having to leave your house.. especially one that offers a higher quality 16:9 mode... but now I just want MORE, I want Charles Papert to pick one up, choose a location and work his magic with a few HMI pars and Gyoury's on some amazing talent... maybe with the mini35 attached, OMG I'm going nuts just thinking about it!

But until then I guess we'll just have to wait until more productions use the XL2 and then share the footage with us!

A. J. deLange October 12th, 2004 12:01 PM

Richard: All the settings (including gamma) are the camera default settings.

Marty: Don't know! it's a Quick Time file which requires Quick Time player (www.apple.com/quicktime/download - PC or Mac) to view. You shouldn't have to rename.

A.J.

Marty Hudzik October 12th, 2004 02:44 PM

I downloaded it and it had a .gen extension. I renamed it to .mov and it played.

Joel Guy October 12th, 2004 02:59 PM

That footage is great. It's nice to be reminded of what greatimages the camera puts out.

Also, I never knew Virginia looked so much like Central America.

Mark Grgurev October 12th, 2004 04:23 PM

Thanks A. J.

Ralph Roberts October 12th, 2004 07:05 PM

Thanks, A.J. ... very helpful!

--Ralph

Mark Jarecki October 13th, 2004 12:26 AM

I imported the footage into Final Cut and watched it on a broadcast monitor. I noticed that there were plenty of distracting red channel "jaggies" in the red propellors at the beginning and at the end in the night footage. Is this an inherent property of the camera or a DV compression issue?