Matte Box Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 12th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matte Box Options

What other Mattebox Options fit the 72mm XL lenses besides the 4x4 Chroziel ones?

A friend of mine saw one at the Canon/ZGC XL-2 Event in NYC. He forgot the name of it, though. It was fair in price, had flag and eyebrows in it's package. Nice size, 16:9 I believe and held 4x4 glass. Are there any other professional level mattebox systems that would work with this camera?

I'm not the most knowledgable in Cam Dept.
Holly Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Cavision (http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/matteboxes.html)

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The one we saw at the ZGC event in NYC was optional up to 4 stage I believe. I'm looking for the closest alternative to the Arri production matteboxes. I understand that where-as sometimes they may be just as effective as "more simple" box systems, we feel it a beneficial factor to present a very professional production image.

Flags, Eyebrows, Multiple Filter Stages, etc. Basically, all the little bells and whistles. We like noises.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Holly, this is the one you're talking about:

FM-500 Matte Box, made by Formatt in the U.K., distributed by Bogen in the U.S., about $300.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes. Thank you Chris that is most likely the Mattebox that was at the XL2 event. The one at the event had left top and right flags, and what seemed to be a better glass slide system (Had clip fasteners similar to the Chroziel I think?). Maybe this was a new version? It may also have been a Van Diemen Mattebox?

Question though; Would it be possible to have a 80mm to 72mm adapter cone/ring.. or if there's already one made... to step down an Arri production mattebox from the 80mm to the 72mm? Do you know of any such thing?
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

The reason I think that's it Holly is because Bogen has been presenting at some of those XL2 events. You might want to call ZGC at (973) 335-4460 and speak to Christine, as she will have the best grip on what was actually shown that day. I know that ZGC is a Chrosziel distributor so I'm thinking your matte box is either a Chrosziel or a Formatt.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

http://www.16x9inc.com/chrosziel/6x6mattebox.shtml
An unregistered friend of mine saw the post and linked me to this. Would this be able to go down to 72mm?

I'm just product hunting for an order list of new equipment. We're gearing up for some bigger things pretty soon.. and keeping in mind our future plans of purchasing a Mini-35 and Prime lenses in the near future.. so sticking with professional tools now will allow us to just carry them over when we are using the real deal glasses.

Chris, you're a great help! Thank you.
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #8
Trustee

Holly,
You would be better off finding a matte box system that uses rods to support the box. Thet can be quite heavy sitting on the lens.
I use an Arri matte box which is heavy and really needs the rods.
I think they're better not being attached to the lens anyway. A simple rubber do-nut will provide a light seal so there's no chance of light hitting the back of the filters.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well, yes I think that generally goes without saying it would need to be used by rods. That is quite a nice suggestion, though. Go the cloest ring down, insert and then seal with a rubber something to block the light. Very cool. Thank you. I'll definately be passing that suggestion along.
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #10
Old Boot

I spent some time at South London Filters. I tried most of the options. The Format was nice but - as Robin will ALWAYS remind me, he has the Arri - that the Formatt as others do, rely on screwing down the matte box system onto the edge of an adaptor ring. I don't like this. You twist the rotating filter holder then all this torque is transmitted to the edge of the step up ring - not good!

I too have started to come to rest on bars and either bellows or a fixed sunshade infront of the "matte" device.

. . . Robin IS gonna leave me his ARRI . . one day . . . one day . .. one day . . . . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

haha.

Yeah, I think the Arri boxes are the way we're going to go. Just step down and seal, and this way once we get the Primes for the Mini35 we'll already have the right gear for those as well.

Thanks for all your help you guys!
Holly Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders