XL2 widescreen playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 widescreen playback

Can anyone help?

When I shoot in 16:9 24p 2:3 and watch the footage on a TV, it isn't in widescreen. How come?

Also, I have premiere pro 6. I can't figure a way to edit with 24p. Should I just pony up and get an Apple? Or does premiere 6 work with 24p? If so, how. Thanks.

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

16:9 recording requires a widescreen 16:9 monitor for proper playback. Failing that, you'll need a 4:3 monitor that is switchable to 16:9 (by adding a letterbox matte; most pro JVC, Sony and Panasonic broadcast-quality production monitors have this option).

Regarding the AP6 question, you'll want to post that in our "The World Premiere" forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Rick

When you shoot in 16:9 you're shooting at a wider than 4:3 ratio. So, when you watch it on a 4:3 TV the TV sqeezes it together to display it in 4:3

To solve this, in editing.. simply keep the image size relative, and lower the width... into a 4:3 composition.

Render it out in a 4:3 comp.. it will be letterboxed.. and then on the TV you will have your widescreen image.
Holly Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

You could also just burn to DVD. When played back on a 4:3 TV the DVD player will provide the letterbox.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I got it working through premiere...sort of. But you guys cut off about 10 hours of fretting while searching in the wrong direction. Thanks,

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have an older Sony monitor that does not seem to have the capability of doing 16:9 . Is there perchance a convertor or sumthing ?

- Ray
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Raymond Schlogel : I have an older Sony monitor that does not seem to have the capability of doing 16:9 . Is there perchance a convertor or sumthing ?

- Ray -->>>

I have no idea how it's done, but my 9 inch Sony monitor has had the overscan switch adapted to show 16:9. I picked it up second hand so I don't know any more than that, except that there is an additional non-standard switch on the back panel that alternates the overscan between 4:3 and 16:9. Find a friendly techy guy - good luck!

Michael
Michael Bott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders