XL2 and Ipod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 15th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 and Ipod?

I am trying to setup the XL2 to record directly to my 20 gig Ipod. I think it would be extremelly cool and useful. Has anybody done it?

Sebastian
Sebastian Jacome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Warden

Can't be done at this time.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: XL2 and Ipod?

<<<-- Originally posted by Sebastian Jacome : I am trying to setup the XL2 to record directly to my 20 gig Ipod. I think it would be extremelly cool and useful. Has anybody done it?

Sebastian -->>>

How do you propose to do it Sebastian. I think it sounds like an interesting idea

DBK
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I don't know if this is feasible, I just remember reading a thread where somebody suggested recording directly to a firewire harddrive and skipping the tape. If that is possible, the Ipod is a firewire harddrive, and it's battery operated... but I don't know yet if this is possible, direct streaming to the ipod.
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The iPod wouldn't know what to do with the incoming DV stream. What you want is a FireStore FS4, QuickStream DV 2 or nNovia A2D. These all write edit-ready files to their own built-in drives.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Warden

FireWire HD's need a controller and at the present time neither FW HD's or iPods have onboard controllers. So, as Chris stated it won't work. iPods do not have high capacity batteries. Under continuous duty the battery will go dead very quickly, probably 15 to 20 minutes of continuous duty at maximum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification guys. Maybe in the future we'll get there. I remember reading an article a couple of days ago about apple being really upset at toshiba for releasing information about the new 60 gig hard drive that apple had ordered for the new ipod.

It is supposed to be video ready, and have color screen. Maybe not suited yet, but we are getting close.

Sebastian
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

one thing which hasnt been mentioned is teh bandwidth required to thruput.. basically these microdrive devices (ipod, nomad etc) cant hand 25mb a second. On top of that it will need teh doftware to be able to write a DV AVI2 file AT LEAST.

Ive looked into this (as i have a friend who has hacked his mini ipod and now uses it as a mass storage device and mp3 player..

unfortunately its not posible at the time.. :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Warden

iPods are not microdrives. They are a fully compliant FireWire 400 drives. If you power the device by a means other than the internal battery (it has a 6 wire connection) you would have no problem. But you still need a computer to act as controller.

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #10
Major Player

I wonder how hard it would be to design a small (ie several inch wide and long) controller for an Ipod.. may have to try that!
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Software handling maybe? Apple offers their dev tools free, just ask at the Apple Store.
AJ Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #12
Warden

Aaron, you'll also have the problem of a power supply. Cameras use a 4 pin FireWire cable that carries no power, only data. A 6 pin cable carries power and data, but I don't know of any 6 pin cameras. There is only one FireWire connection so you'll need to build some type of hybrid FireWire cable and a power supply.

Old October 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out. I'll post any results I get.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

There's only one DV camera I'm aware of with a 6-pin FireWire connector, and that's the Sony DSR-250.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #15
Trustee

I'm pretty sure that connector runs throught he entire line of the DSR camera's (or at least the 500's and 570's)
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders