recommend me some stuff. please - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM   #46
Major Player

Hmmm, might be a bit too tight. I have in fact that very same case that I use for all my audio gear, but I'm not sure the XL2 could fit in there.

It might fit by removing the viewfinder and putting it aside, as well as the lens, but it's a little on the tight side, and you will not be able to put anything else in it.

Ideally you'd want nothing less than 7" deep inside measurments for maximum protection. This XL2 is pretty big...

As a reference, use those measurments:

20x lens: 8" x 4" x 4" with sunshade on
XL2 body : 8" x 11" x 6"
viewfinder: 7" x 8" x 3"
on-cam mic: 8" x 2" x 2"

If you have enough room for all that, it should work.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #47
Regular Crew

thanks , i'll keep looking then
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:47 PM   #48
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=227388&is=REG

would that be ok for an xl2 also?
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #49
Major Player

Kevin,

You will find over time, that no matter what size case you get, it will gradually become stuffed with loads of goodies.

Add about 8" to your needed size, now.

Don't worry about "form fitted" inserts. Buy some foam stuffing from a furniture store/hardware store, and make your own inserts.
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #50
Regular Crew

suitable you reckon?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Have a look at the Probag at H Prestons if you're looking for a soft bag for on the road stuff, but big enough for batts, tapes, couple other bits and bobs but not too much else(other lens etc). I got it for my XL2 and I'm happy with it.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #52
Regular Crew

thanks. I'll give them a ring.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Hey Fellas.

I got an email today from a store in the UK recommending me this budget tripod and head. Here's what they said:

A tripod such as the Manfrotto 190PRO would be good. They are the most versatile starting tripod and can take a weight of up to 5KG. We sell them for £89.95. Further details can be found using the following link
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/cgi-bin/manmantri.asp

Depending on what you want to do a good basic head to go for would be the Manfrotto 488 ball and socket head. We sell this for £54.95. Details can be found using the following link
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/cgi-bin/manmanhead.asp

Now I know you guys have said to me I should spend big bucks on getting a really good tripod but like I've said I can't at this moment in time. I don't intend to shake the cam all over the place or abuse it on a tripod so surely these must be ok for doing simple still shots?
If I get these I might be able to afford a TA-100 also.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,

by all means mate, go for it if you just want to take statics with it and it's certainly cheap enough. then when you get the cash together get the Vision 3 or similar for proper fluid movement and quality legs. someone recommended to me the Vinten Pro 5 as a starting level tripod system a while back, and at about 250 notes I think it wasn't too bad a price. might be worth having a play with something like that in-store to see what you think. not as good obv as the dearer options but it's bound to be a decent product - most DV operators/researchers in telly (multiskillers is the euphemism TV companies like to use), use the Pro5 or similar.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary. I'll check out a couple more then before deciding.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:43 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Is this it? It looks quite nice. Not bad cost wise either. I might mull over it.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/gimme/storereframe.php?view=item&item=vinten_pro5
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:54 AM   #57
Regular Crew

that's the one, doesn't look too shabby does it. Sorry though I thought it was cheaper than that. You can get stuff cheaper than creative video - I think they're one of the most expensive. Visual Impact hire Pro5s out all the time to broadcast and sell them cheaper than that. I think I had a quote of 290 before VAT. H Prestons are not bad either.
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Are there several versions of the Pro 5? I found a place listing several at different prices here:

http://www.tnpbroadcast.co.uk/search.php

you'll have to type "Vinten" to see the list.

H Preston I couldn't find the exact model.
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #59
Regular Crew

OK I decided to wait a few weeks and get the vinten Pro 5. I'm close to buying my monitor but can't decide on an appropriate resolution. What do you guys work with?

I'm looking at one for £182 which has a resoloution of 440 x 234 pixels and has some good connections or one at £300 which has a resolution of 2400x480 pixels.
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #60
Regular Crew

.....about the panasonic tapes, I have been told that the MQ (master) and the PQ (pro) come off the same "pancake" of tape being loaded into the shells. The MQ is in the middle, followed by the PQ, followed by consumer at either end. BTW I've had very good luck with the 83 PQ's.
David Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders