DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   recommend me some stuff. please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/33714-recommend-me-some-stuff-please.html)

Kevin Gilvear October 20th, 2004 05:28 AM

recommend me some stuff. please

Hello.

My XL2 came today, she's a beauty. I think I'll call it Mika. Lighter than I was expecting too.

Anyways with my excitement over (until I begin playing with it) I was hoping you could all recommend me stuff to get next for it. I've seen the top five essentials so they're noted.

I want to look at best tapes to use for it, most popular (yawn I know its been discussed to death) and also some lense protection/filters. Is the battery supplied really good etc?

Actually I think it would be a great idea for someone to start a sticky thread with all this stuff listed, so repeated threads don't occur and annoy everyone.

Thanks for the help so far.

Kev

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2004 05:30 AM

As for my Top Five list that you've read, strike the VL-3 light and replace with the TA-100 tripod adapter. In fact make that the number-one priority on your list! It's a "must have" in my book.

Kevin Gilvear October 20th, 2004 05:33 AM

actually i need a tripod, a good one but cheap. i really cannot afford a pricey one. this adaptor is just for easy dismounting right? a light would still be useful - top 6? no make a top 10 :D

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2004 05:52 AM

Well you've bought a $5,000 camera and as I've recommended elsewhere on this board, you really should have a $1,500 tripod underneath it. You really don't want to compromise this. Maybe put it on the credit card, heh. But with a "cheap" tripod you're really cheating yourself and it's really going to work against you in a big way. In my opinion you should forget about the top five accessories or top ten or whatever, and instead throw those dollars towards the best tripod you can afford, and the TA-100 tripod adapter. The adapter is a neccessity in my opinion, not so much for ease of use but primarily for stability and safety. You don't want a $5,000 camera hanging from a single little quarter-twenty thread socket. The XL2 is way too heavy for that. In my opinion (geez I'm full of opions huh) Canon should have included that TA-100 adapter with every camera they make, even if it meant bumping the price up another $100.

Sorry about dollars vs. pounds there Kevin, you'll have to do the conversions -- as a Texan I know very little about currency of any sort. Our currency around here is measured in heads (of cattle) and bales (of hay).

Kevin Gilvear October 20th, 2004 10:47 AM

It cost me £3,400. I have 9 months to pay the rest. I will think about the tripod. how much is the TA adaptor?

Marty Hudzik October 20th, 2004 12:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Gilvear : It cost me £3,400. I have 9 months to pay the rest. I will think about the tripod. how much is the TA adaptor? -->>>

I got the ta-100 adapter for $149 at BH photo. I thought it was overpriced until I got it. Holy Shnikeys!!! It is a serious bugger! Heavy and solid steel construction. I don't regret it for a second!

Plus if you leave it on tthe bottom of the XL2 it really balances out the weight....but it blocks the shoulder pad so it's a trade off.

I cannot reccomend it enough.

Kevin Gilvear October 20th, 2004 01:34 PM

Having had a little play with the camcorder tonight (sans tape) I did notice it becoming considerably heavy. I shall definetly look into purchasing the adaptor and tripod. Might be best if I purchase extra items overseas, they seem to be cheaper unless I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend me a nice tripod then for this thing?

So being in the UK I need good tapes. Canon do their own right. recommended? Shorter length the better?

Marty Hudzik October 20th, 2004 01:40 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Gilvear : Having had a little play with the camcorder tonight (sans tape) I did notice it becoming considerably heavy. I shall definetly look into purchasing the adaptor and tripod. Might be best if I purchase extra items overseas, they seem to be cheaper unless I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend me a nice tripod then for this thing?

So being in the UK I need good tapes. Canon do their own right. recommended? Shorter length the better? -->>>

I don't think Canon manufacturers any tapes. I have great luck with Panasonic MQ or PQ tapes. I steer away from the 83 minutes because of cost and because of rumors that the thinner tape used in them can cause more dropouts or tape eatage. Haven't experienced it myself but have heard of it.

I avoid Sony tapes like the plague. Had horrible dropouts and issues with them in my XL1 and haven't touched one in over 4 years now.

Kevin Gilvear October 20th, 2004 01:42 PM

Thanks Marty. I'll try panasonic tapes for my first test then.

Yi Fong Yu October 20th, 2004 01:42 PM

sorry if this has been gone over already but why do you need an adaptor? i have one of those bogen tripods there are already a few different sized bolts on it.

David Lach October 20th, 2004 02:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Well you've bought a $5,000 camera and as I've recommended elsewhere on this board, you really should have a $1,500 tripod underneath it.-->>>

Well I agree in essence, but not with those figures. I have a very nice heavy duty 3036 Bogen Manfrotto tripod with a 3038 ball head that I got a while back for $250 on eBay (although it was used, so might want to double that amount for a new one).

Both are rated for a max load of 26lbs and they are quite stable. The ball head has an all metal quick-release plate with a double lock system and I swear I could probably hang myself with this thing without it braking or getting loose.

But yes, a proper tripod is a must indeed, one that can sustain heavy loads.

Kevin Gilvear October 21st, 2004 05:27 AM

Does this look like a good tape?

63 min Panasonic AY-DVM63 Professional Mini-DV Tape

http://www.apdigitalshop.co.uk/acatalog/Mini_DV___DVCAM.html

I can't find MQ ones. Is there a large difference between the two?

David Lach October 21st, 2004 12:08 PM

I think the MQs are supposed to be Panasonic's top of the line, just above the PQs. I bought 10 of them based on high recommendations from various sellers, including Brian at Zotz digital, but I couldn't say why choose the MQs over the PQs really. I figure they might have a smaller amount of drop-outs. But why? Beats me... PQs and MQs don't use oil-based lubricants though, which is a good thing, I know that much.

Kevin Gilvear October 21st, 2004 12:51 PM

Thanks. Does anyone know of a good online UK retailer that sells Panasonic MQ tapes? I'm having no luck. I've tried ebay too

Aaron Shaw October 21st, 2004 01:07 PM

Don't the standard everyday Panasonic tapes use a dry tape as well? Or did I hear incorrectly?