DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Playing 16:9 on a TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/33974-playing-16-9-tv.html)

Laura Smith October 25th, 2004 01:32 PM

Playing 16:9 on a TV

We just received our new XL2 and tried out the 16:9 feature but can’t get it to play in widescreen on our TV. We followed the instructions in the manuel which says that to play in widescreen on the TV we must hook the camera up through the S input. We have an S-Video plug in our our TV (which is only a year old) but we can’t get it to play in widescreen. According to the manuel, any TV with an s-video hookup should play in widescreen. It doesn’t say anything about needing to have an HD TV or any other requirement other than s-video input. Is this true? And why won’t it play on ours? Since our TV is so new, we assumed it would be compatible with 16:9.

Marty Hudzik October 25th, 2004 02:09 PM

The television needs to have a 16x9 mode on it. Chances are if the television manual or box doesn't list 16x9 as a feature (most that have this brag about it big time as it is a new gimmick) then it won't have it. Having said that some televisions that have this feature may be able to automatically sense the 16x9 mode of the XL2 on the Svideo inputs. Mine does not and I have never seen one that does this.

The manual needs to be more clear about this as you are not the first to come forward with this issue.

Sorry!

Marty Hudzik October 25th, 2004 02:16 PM

The manual actually says

"Tv's with S (S1)-terminal or Video ID-1 system: Recordings made in the 16x9 mode will be automatically played back in widescreen mode".

I am not sure but I wouldn;t assume that this is just vanilla s-video connection. I could be wrong but I have never heard it referred to as "S1: before.

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2004 04:38 PM

It needs to be a widescreen TV in order to display the XL2's 16:9 video properly.

Boyd Ostroff October 25th, 2004 05:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marty Hudzik : The manual actually says

"Tv's with S (S1)-terminal or Video ID-1 system -->>>

I believe the video ID-1 system refers the the signal that is embedded in the video stream which identifies the source material as anamorphic. Not many US TV's have the capability to recognize this signal, or the hardware needed to letterbox. I have a 6 year old 27" 4:3 Sony WEGA which features and "enhanced 16:9 mode," but it doesn't automatically switch, you have to choose it from a menu. But activating this feature actually changes the spacing of the scan lines on the CRT such that you get higher quality 16:9 than mere letterboxing.

One work-around would be to burn your video to DVD. DVD players will automatically letterbox anamorphic programs for 4:3 TV's.

Lauri Kettunen October 26th, 2004 02:09 AM

Some weeks ago I connected my Xl2 to a couple year old Sony TV with 4:3 CRT using the S-video connection. To see the picture properly, I had to switch the 16:9 mode from the TV's remote control. (I could not easily figure out how to activate the 16:9 mode from the front panel, so the remote control was the easiest solution.) In this case, at least, there was no automatic detection. So, I wonder did Laura had her TV in the 16:9 mode or not.

Boyd Ostroff October 26th, 2004 06:28 AM

Someone e-mailed me asking how to get a Sony TV to display 16:9. Not all WEGA's can do this. In fact, I think it is only the largest most expensive models that have this feature. On my 27" WEGA you press the MENU button and choose SETUP (the toolbox icon). Scroll down to ENHANCED 16:9 and turn it on. This feature only works with external video input, it can't be activated if you're watching broadcast TV. And it's a bit of a nuisance, because if you accidently hit the channel button while watching 16:9 the set will revert to 4:3 mode and you have to dig back through the menus again.

If your TV doesn't have a 16:9 mode, and if you're brave (read: not worried about damaging your TV), you might check out this technique: http://gregl.net/videophile/16x9on4x3.htm