DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   some XL2 stills.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34348-some-xl2-stills.html)

Mark McCarthy November 2nd, 2004 09:15 AM

some XL2 stills..

Hello all!
I recently went out to Africa to shoot a short documentary with my XL2 in hand (2 days old!).

See some of the stills at

www.sparkyproductions.com

Unfortunately these jpegs doesn't do the footage any justice.
Shooting in 16:9 was such a delight, the footage was just amazing, esp the African browns and blacks and wonderful warm colours.

I lef the camera on it's standards settings but would like to get to know a little more about them soon. I almost shot in 'cine' mode but just went with normal 'video' mode. Again I'd like to experiment and look at the difference.

It's such a good camera. I used my Canon 16x manual lense just because I'm very used to it. I am not sure how much better the picture is with it than the 20x.

regards
Mark..

Greg Patch November 2nd, 2004 12:50 PM

Wow, those look great, I really like the first one with those people standing there.....

Mark McCarthy November 2nd, 2004 01:11 PM

thanks Greg
I was there for 5 days and got about 7 hours worth of footage.
When you see the 16:9 in motion it really is incredible.
Have you got an XL2?
Mark

Yi Fong Yu November 2nd, 2004 03:26 PM

WOW WOW WOW!!! that's an incredible footage. can you cut us a trailer? that was awesome. =^).

Mark McCarthy November 2nd, 2004 03:35 PM

thanks. What type of trailer did you have in mind?

Patrick Alonso November 2nd, 2004 07:48 PM

Beautiful

Those are just beautiful shots. What time of day did you shoot the close up of the three elephants?

Any footage would be greatly appreciated.

-Patrick

Yi Fong Yu November 2nd, 2004 10:58 PM

ya know a trailer of what you shot there. the best shots. these footages are awesome. we just want to see some more!

Greg Patch November 3rd, 2004 08:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark McCarthy :
Have you got an XL2?
Mark -->>>

No, not yet but seeing the footage that you posted helps my decision process...

Mark McCarthy November 3rd, 2004 02:27 PM

Hi Greg
You must get an XL2.
In Africa it was just amazing.
I just got back from shooting some corporate footage in London (this evening) and I shot everything in 16:9. The pictures are beyond by expectations. The clients just love the widescreen!
You can sell your old XL1S for a decent price so the upgrade isn't really such a hit. It will also soon pay for itself, it is for me.

I'll have some time tomorrow afternoon so I'll try to post some better africa pics and even try to put some video on there.

***Patrick, I shot the elephants at sundown (6pm in Botswana). It was actually quite dark when they appeared. The still just doesn't do the video justice.
**YI - thanks for your positive comments.

regards all and good luck
Mark

Ralph Roberts November 4th, 2004 08:53 AM

Mark, the African stills are wonderful.... I, too, would love to see some of the footage. Thanks for sharing!

--Ralph