20x lens vs 16x manual - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 18th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #16
Wrangler

Cheers Olly...

I'm a fan of the Ultracons meself.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #17
Major Player

I haven't really intercut the two lenses much, so I don't know how the two compare in sharpness, color rendition, contrast and overall picture.

The 20X should be quite a sharp bit of glass with the flourite and it's a newer design. It doesn't breathe hardly at all compared to the 16x manual lens when you rack focus, but the manual lens gives you a lot more control. The focus and zoom on the auto lens are electro, not mechanical. I did some testing and posted the results:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38166

I have both lenses, but primarily use the 16x manual. If I had to shoot lots of tele stuff, I might switch to the 20x. I have used the 20x hand held with stabilisation to good effect, but it can get a little floaty. It's good if you are static and zoomed way in on someone at a podium. The IS can be helpful and the longer focal lengths.

I will soon be getting the Century .7 W/A converter for the 16X. I have the convertor for the 20x and it's quite nice.

I'd really like to see a 2mm to 40 or 60mm zoom and some T/1.0 primes. That would be cool. And I bet they'd look soooo cute in their little case.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #18
Trustee

Mark,
I have been using the 16xmanual lately and it is very sharp. I mounted the .7x wide angle on this unit and it seems to soften the image a bit. Not in a bad way...it almost makes it more film like. With just the 20x or the 16x manual I tend to want to crank down the sharpness of the camera a bit. But with th .7x I don't see the sharpness as much and tend to leave it a t default.

Now none of the images look soft....like out of focus. But some patterns that would normally exhibit moire noise seem to be less "flickery" if you know what I mean.

When you put the .7x out on the end of the 16x manual lens it really starts getting heavy!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Marty and thanks for the email. I have no doubt that the 16x is sharp, or else I wouldn't use it. I do want to play around with the .7 converter some more.

Still waiting for Canon to make XL2 primes :~). I have been tempted to buy some of the industrial ones and figure out how to make them "film friendly". Probably a lot of $$$$$ to modify them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders