DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Please-Good place to buy PAL XL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34624-please-good-place-buy-pal-xl2.html)

Alex Cano November 7th, 2004 06:29 PM

Please-Good place to buy PAL XL2?

Dennis suggested BH Photo to me, but it seems that they don't carry it.

Is there any other reliable place in North America selling it?

Are the European places very expensive?

Would www.expandore.biz be a good choice? People seem to have had good experience with them, from what little I've seen. They're from Singapore. Are there different kinds of PAL?

Has anyone from the US bougth a PAL from overseas? What percentage import tax do you have to pay customs?

Thank you very much!

(Also, I've posted a DP job offering in the Helping Hands forum, if anyone's interested)

Alex

Mathieu Ghekiere November 7th, 2004 06:54 PM

Hey, Alex. I live in Belgium, PAL land, and I can state that it won't be cheap for you to buy it here. Here it states (at some places) at 5000 euro. But if I'm not mistaken, euro is 1.2 dollar, so it would be very expensive for you. (I guess that being 6000 dollar, EXCLUDING IMPORT TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS)

I think you should follow the advice of Dennis, and ask in B&H. Have you already mailed them with your question?
I know I saw a PAL XL1S once on their site, so try if they can get a PAL XL2. Really, buying overseas will be very expensive for you, especcially if you count on the shipping costs + import taxes.
IF you would buy overseas, I could maybe advice Germany, because they have a lower taxe rate.Example: here in Belgium some shops selled the XL1S (still!!!) for 4200 euros, being 5040 dollars. Germany sells the XL1S new in a shop that has a good reputation at 3200 euros. So that's the difference. (I think the shop is www.top-photo.de or www.top-foto.de).

But I really think you should ask in B&H. Maybe they don't have one now, but I'm pretty sure you can order one. It will be very much cheaper and better.

(BTW, it sucks living here, I see many items being MUCH cheaper at B&H, but it's mostly hard to buy there from here, because if you include shipping costs and possible customs, it's many times the same expense)

Good luck with searching, and the XL2 PAL!!
bye

Chris Mills November 7th, 2004 09:14 PM

I bought our PAL XL-2 from Expandore and am quite happy with the experience. Do do your homework and verify how the warranty will work for you wherever you are as you will most likely want to take out the Mack warranty.

Valeriu Campan November 8th, 2004 04:42 AM

I am told that in Hong Kong they sell it for HK$27,000.

Aaron Koolen November 8th, 2004 01:37 PM

I've heard good things (i.e. know someone who has bought from) expandore without a problem.

Aaron

Alex Cano November 9th, 2004 07:35 AM

I just made the order with expandore.com

I'll let you know how the transaction goes, and also how much I'll have to pay customs, so everybody knows. (I have no idea how much I'll have to pay! I'm biting my nails just in that front!)

Alex

Dennis Hingsberg November 10th, 2004 06:21 PM

Customs is usually just your state taxes on top. Well at least that's how it works here in Canada. Customs will look at the commercial invoice included with your shipment and base the tax on that amount.

So you decided to go with the PAL version afterall? Let me know when you need help with your conversions.

Best of luck!

Alex Cano November 11th, 2004 02:46 PM

Hey, Dennis! Yeah, I've been meaning to e-mail you, just have been busy with some prep, I'm going to Mexico next week, but I decided to go for the PAL, can't wait to get my hands on it...

Talk to you later!

Alex

Matt Emery November 15th, 2004 07:56 AM

I just bought from expandore.biz, arrived via UPS today in good condition. Am now buying a Mack warranty at qualitycamera.com.au and all is well :)