Some Zoo footage.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Some Zoo footage....

Here is some stuff I shot when I took my little girl to the zoo 2 weeks ago. It's all handheld and unscripted but it gave me a chance to shoot something more interesting than the trees in my yard or the cars at the park.. I know everyone is looking for "scripted" stuff that is controlled and lit. But I decided to post it anyway just to see what you think. I already linked to it on DVXuser.com so I figure I'd post it here also as this is where I normally frequent.

www.iciclestudios.com/images/xl2/xl2zoo.wmvx (11 MB)

Download and remove the x from the file extension to view it. My webserver doesn't do streaming well and this forces a download to play it.

Thanks! This is mostly to help those that haven't purchased see the potential of the Xl2, not the potential of this videographer!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nice indeed.
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes... nice!

I note you already had the *ahem* seal of approval in it. ;-)

--Ralph
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes Ralph. Nice one. I was going to try and tell everyone it was shot on location on several continents but I couldn't "sea Lion" about that.
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

that last one is sorta hard to bear, Marty ;-)

but, seriously, I was impressed on how the lens gets you up close and personal with the lions, etc.

--Ralph
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #6
Wrangler

Hi Marty,

In Media Player 10, your very nice shots appeared to be 2.5:1 rather than 16:9, yet the images appear perfect -- not at all "stretched." I looked at the properties and they showed an odd aspect ratio of 9:5 (1.80, close enough to widescreen 1.78 to be a rounding error; not at all close to 2.5).

So I imported the file into Premiere Pro 1.5 and it reports a normal widescreen pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 for a 720x480 clip and in the source window it looks like 16:9 footage masked across the top and bottom with black letterbox bars to achieve the Big Wide Cinema look? Or is a custom export setting tricking me? Just curious.

Beautiful shots!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Trustee

You are indeed correct.

Just for the hell of it I cropped the top and bottom to achieve a more "epic" aspect ratio. I prefer that look so I just did it. The file is indeed 16x9 or 720x480 with 1.2 pixel aspect ratio. The black bars are part of the image.

I guess I was trying to convey the film look more. Hoping to get some feedback on that aspect. I frequent the DVXuser boards and the crew over there is still stating that the XL2 looks like video and the DVX give a more filmic look. I agree to an extent that the DVX has a different built in curve that lends to that illusion. But this test was to prove to myself as much as anybody else that footage shot on the XL2 can look just as filmic or even better. It's hard to judge shots of cars or the inside of our houses. But animals, wild animals.....we've seen them on celluloid in movies and on the discovery channel. that we have a pint of reference to.

It's hard to tell in the compressed file but I believe the qualiity of this footage stands up to what I see filmed on the Discovery channel of wild animals. At least Discovery non-HD. The cinematography is weak as I had no tripod and couldn't compose the shots like I'd have liked to.
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

Looks nice Marty, thanks for sharing!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #9
Wrangler

Thanks for the info Marty. Even compressed to a 1MB/sec stream, it looked entirely "filmic" to me. Or maybe "epic" is the better word here! ;-) Nice work for "handheld and unscripted!"

Cheers,
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #10
New Boot

Marty:

I liked your footage a lot!

Was it shot at 24p? if so what pulldown scheme?

Any particular custom program setting?

what software do you use for editing?

Thanks for sharing!
Carlos Porras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #11
Trustee

WOW - I'm jealous... and I own an XL2 too!

Great footage, love the soundtrack too... the colors are extremely vivid!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #12
Trustee

XL-nt footage. =).

i think it's pretty clear that XL2 is an awesome cam to have. i'm curious... what lens were you using? 20x?
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #13
New Boot

Marty,

Great, clear footage. If you don't mind I would like to try a streaming experiment with it on my server. If it works (streams fine) then I can share the URL in this thread. What do you think?
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Cruz : Marty,

Great, clear footage. If you don't mind I would like to try a streaming experiment with it on my server. If it works (streams fine) then I can share the URL in this thread. What do you think? -->>>

Go right ahead.

By the way it was the stock 20x lens on this footage. I am not lucky enough to have a 16x or 14x manual lens.
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The colors are very vivid. It looked like a post coloring effect was added

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders