16:9 confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 confusion

I know this has been talked about in some form or another many times. But I just cant get a clear view in my head of whats going on.

I have the xl2. I've shot footage in 16:9 mode ....I captured footage using Vegas 5. I didn't select any settings for capture. I just hooked up the camera and hit capture. It appeared to "auto-detect" the 16:9 footage.

Where I start to get confused is when I've exported some still images from the project. I open the image in photoshop and the size is 654 X 480. ...Is this right? .......My ultimate goal is to render mpg2 and to burn to dvd. What should the dimensions of the frame be?

thanks,

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

The DV standard includes an anamorphic bit which the XL2 apparently sets and which your editing software apaprently recognizes. PS doesn't know anything about DV i.e. once you've exported a jpeg the anamorphic bit is out of the picture (literally) and PS will interpret the JPEG as a 720 x 480 with square pixels (720 x 480 is the size of the NTSC DV frame regardless of whether it is anamorphic or 4:3). To get 16:9 in Photoshop you must either change the shape of the pixels to rectangular or change the size of the picture to something with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Doing the latter with interpolation will insure that the picture comes up in the correct aspect ratio in any subsequent use.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been scaling my DV grabs by 120% in width only in PS to get them to be stretched correctly.

http://www.lizardlounge.com
Chris Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

Assuming that you're viewing on a square pixel device, like a computer monitor, then 120% is close but not quite right:

16 / 9 = 1.778

and

480 x 1.778 = 853.44

Therefore you should resize the image to 854 x 480. Or you could pick any size that you want as long as the width divided by the height equals 1.778.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

John: if you have the Vegas 5 project settings set to 16:9 and
then save (instead of copy to clipboard) a snapshot with the
button near the preview screen it should save the picture in the
correct resolution and you should not need to resample it. Keep
in mind to keep the settings of the preview to full, best before
doing such an export.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders