Century Optics lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Trustee

Century Optics lens

I'm interested in a wide angle lens, and saw the Century Precision optics .6 for around $330. Is that a complete set up for the xl2?
Thanks in advance
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Major Player

related question (two for one!)

Can this converter be screwed onto the 14x or 16x manual as well as the automatic 20X?
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

I have it for the manual 16x lens. I like it, but it's not perfect. Probably a little softer overall than the main lens, and I definitely see softness near the sides of the frame, getting sharper toward the center. Noticable about of barrel distortion too.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

how about the 0.7x wide Convertor?

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : I have it for the manual 16x lens. I like it, but it's not perfect. Probably a little softer overall than the main lens, and I definitely see softness near the sides of the frame, getting sharper toward the center. Noticable about of barrel distortion too. -->>>

Really? Have you had a chance to use the .7x Century Wide? I am debating between the .6 and the .7 right now. I'm liking the .6 price and extra wide angle area. The zoom-through capability of the .7 is not an issue for me. However if the .6 edges are soft thats bad.

Oliver
Oliver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

I know nothing personally of the .7x . I stand by the soft edge comments. If you really want wide, with good resolution, you gotta, you know, fork up for the 3x. I think. Unless there's another option I don't know about.
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:42 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : I have it for the manual 16x lens. I like it, but it's not perfect. -->>>

Josh-
Which 0.6x do you have? It appears there is one for the smart lens and one for the 16x manual lens.

VS-06WA-XL2 ,,,,Canon 16x auto lens or Canon 3X wide angle zoom.

VS-06WA-MXL ,,,,6x Wide Angle Adapter for the Canon XL1/XL1S, 16x manual lens

Wow this WA stuff is confusing! I'm about to start a thread just about it. WA is one of my favorite modes of shooting, not something to screw up! :)
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Ok, wait. Let's get ourselves on the same page.

As far as I know, which may not be very far (haha), there are two .6x WA adapters (fixed focal length) for the XL1/XL1s, and now, XL2.

There is one for the ISII lens, and one for the 16x manual. I have it for the 16x manual. So, though my base lens is sharper, I still see softness at the edges. It's not super-blurry, but looks very slightly out of focus.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Wow this WA stuff is confusing!
Jeff, you're right about that. Actually the story gets interesting when we introduce yet another lens: the Canon 14X manual.

For that lens, you'll need the VS-06WA-75! This is yet another .6 wide angle adapter for the Canon XL series of DV camcorder.

I emailed Century Optics for confirmation and that is the wide angle adapter for the 14X. It's been mentioned here in the past as well. Jean-Philippe Archibald did some research a while back, check this thread here.

So, three wide angle adapters so far: 1) VS-06WA-XL2 for the 16X IIS and XL2; 2) VS-06WA-MXL for the 16X manual; and 3) VS-06WA-75 for the Canon 14X manual.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Go : So, three wide angle adapters so far: 1) VS-06WA-XL2 for the 16X IIS and XL2; 2) VS-06WA-MXL for the 16X manual; and 3) VS-06WA-75 for the Canon 14X manual. -->>>

/me shakes head :D
Canon 3X wide, anyone? :)))
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #10
Trustee

</me shakes head :D
Canon 3X wide, anyone? :)))>

My sentiments exactly.
Bruce yarock
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #11
Major Player

The 3X is hardly the most capable combo but for those (like me) who've hardly touched the camera it sounds hard to go wrong. Take advantage of that interchangable lens capability.

Forget the fact that for the price of two converters and the filtershade you can buy the 3X
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Miller : The 3X is hardly the most capable combo but for those (like me) who've hardly touched the camera it sounds hard to go wrong. Take advantage of that interchangable lens capability.

Forget the fact that for the price of two converters and the filtershade you can buy the 3X -->>>

Sure, but if you still need the full manual capability and feel of the 14x and the 16x manual lens, then a wide angle adaptor/convertor is a better bet. And on a set, changing lens is down time, and down time = $.

Now if there were a 3x manual...:-)

Oliver
Oliver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #13
Trustee

Can anyone confirm that the .7x wide angle Century converter suffers from the "softness" around the edges?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #14
Trustee

This may be slightly off topic, but can someone tell me the differrences between the two manual lenses? (14x and 16x).
Bruce yarock
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Oliver Power : <<<--
Sure, but if you still need the full manual capability and feel of the 14x and the 16x manual lens, then a wide angle adaptor/convertor is a better bet. And on a set, changing lens is down time, and down time = $.
Oliver -->>>
Oh yeah, there's nothing like the manual. We're probably talking about different shooting situations. I've wondered is changing the lens timely to do in the field? I just wonder what it's like. I don't care about down time, I'm unemployed :D

"Now if there were a 3x manual...:-)"
I would buy it without a thought!
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders