DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   my first step (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35012-my-first-step.html)

Thomas Edward Bufkin November 15th, 2004 05:52 PM

my first step

Hi all, Somebody please tell me that it will be alright that I just dropped 7 grand on a camera I know nothing about.

XL-2;MANFROTTO 515/516 KIT;SENNHEISER 100 G2 kit;SENNHEISER extra cardiod lav; CANON tripod adapter; BP-945 battery; VARIZOOM PRO-L; VL-3 VIDEO LIGHT and whats worse I should have asked for your opinions about the Mack Camera 4 year 3CCD Pro warranty that I did not buy.

ZGC is shipping the cam today. Is it to late to buy warranty? Do I even need to buy extra warranty? Plus I didn't order a case like the TAMRAC 2249? or any tapes but after reading it seem the Panasonic AY-DVM63 MQ is acceptable.

I think I should feel of the camera a little while then maybe I can learn more about what case to get.

Any thoughts/comments/re-assurance would be appreaciated.

Thanks, TEB

Ralph Roberts November 15th, 2004 07:06 PM

It's okay, I'm a fixin' to do the same. ... I'm sure the more experience folk here will answer your more specific questions.

Good shootin'!

--Ralph

Rob Lohman November 16th, 2004 05:08 AM

Hello Thomas and welcome aboard DVInfo.net! Your getting a fine
camera and depending on your experience it should be smooth
sailing. What are you going to do with the camera (in regards to
your "will be alright" question)? I don't think a lot of people like
the VL-3 light very much, but that might depend on what you are
going to use it for.

David Hurdon November 16th, 2004 06:37 AM

My own experience since taking the DV plunge four years ago is that the kit keeps growing and the bags get bigger. The one you start with becomes a carrier for accessories. I have two camera bags and a hard shell case now but the camera always travels in a bag that the airlines will allow in the cabin. Not that I fly all over the place, but when I do I want it with me. Welcome aboard!

David Hurdon

PS I bought no warranty on my VX2000 and for thirty months I've needed no service. Another 18 and I made the right choice ;)

Bill Keen November 16th, 2004 07:02 AM

Hi Thomas,

You can buy the Mack warranty within a 30 day time frame of buying the camera.

Pete Bauer November 16th, 2004 08:12 AM

Hi Thomas!

Congrats on the purchase and your first post! Since we are in the same metro area, I would enjoy meeting you to talk shop about our new cameras -- we will have very similar setups, and I'm finding that a video shoot is challenging as a "one-man band."

Those Panasonic tapes are very popular amongst us DVinfo.net types. I use the exact same tapes in my GL2, and now XL2, and have been very happy.

You'll get different opinions on the warranty, I'm sure. Here's a current thread on that topic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=34996

No doubt, there are a lot of folks who are pleased with their Mack warranty. As you might gather from the other thread, I personally wouldn't buy it. It is relatively low-priced for an after-market warranty , but to my taste there are too many limitations and restrictions ($199 at B&H for the warranty you mentioned -- camera body only!!!), plus you pay all the ancillary costs like shipping.

http://www.mackcam.com/warranties/4yearvideopro.html

On the other hand, if you think you may only keep the camera for 1-3 years, a transferrable warranty could give a prospective buyer confidence. But I'd say that if you've taken care of your camera and can show it works fine, you'll be able to sell it no problem anyway.

The extended warranty is really a personal choice to make. If it gives you peace of mind, it may be worth it. STATISTICALLY speaking, they're a losing bet.

What kind of case you'll be happy with depends a lot on what sort of travel plans you have for your equipment. I think that unless you're immediately going to take a big trip, just developing a comfort with your gear first before getting a case will work well. BTW, Houston Camera Exchange has a lot of nice hard cases that you can put your hands on and equipment in before you buy...I may be stopping by there myself one of these days since I'm thinking about getting a hard case.

Again, congrats! You're going to have so much fun you won't have time for work! ;-)

Thomas Edward Bufkin November 16th, 2004 01:12 PM

Ralph,Rob,David,Bill,&Pete, Thanks all for your thoughts. I do feel based on all the positive posts I've read that I'll be happy with the cam.

I also agree that keeping your camera with you (or near you) on the plane is likely better than 'Thumbs' the baggage boy tossing it around. I rarely travel but when I do it seems more sensable to have it with you.

Rob, I bought the VL-3 light based on Chris Hurds original suggestion only in anticipation of subtle lighting needs, if ever. And as he said, it's not that expensive.

I will likely not buy the warranty; btw what is the standard warranty? I guess I'll find out when I read the owners manual. ooops, I forgot about downloading and printing the instruction manual. So does the camera come with the same manual without the word copy in the center of each page?

I am eagerly waiting to get the camera.

One more question. I have had for many years a Cardiod Mic described as follows: SUPERSCOPE by MARANTZ Cardiod condenser microphone EC-7. It has always worked well on the home receiver. Should I use it? Is it good, bad, does anyone recognize it?

thanks again all for your patience.

TEB