DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which Mattebox? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35038-mattebox.html)

Dan Weeks November 16th, 2004 06:35 AM

Which Mattebox?

The Century Optics Matte box comes w/rails that has a tripod quick release. Is this preferable, and/or additional to the Canon TA-100 quick release?
Are there any opinions as to the Century Matte Box vs. the Chrosziel for use on the XL-2? I want to use Schneider 4" graduates in combo w/ warming filters. Thanks

David Cleverly November 17th, 2004 01:03 AM

Hi Dan,

I am looking at an XL2 kit which has a Chrozsiel Matte Box and Rails kit fitted to it (for an XL1, actually as I don't think an XL2 version is ready yet - if it is any different).

I found the problem is that the Rails mount to the hole under the XL2 (I guess this is normal) but this means the "shoe" that mounts to the bottom of the camera to "slide" into a tripod plate cannot be fitted correctly, if at all (someone might be able to clear this up for me).

I think what this means is that only a tripod such as Manfrotto (that uses a different tripod connection than, say, a miller) can be used with an XL2 with rails attached.

The Manfrotto tripod plate fits under the rails connector on the bottom of the camera and then this plate slides horizontally into the Manfrotto head instead of a drop-in, push forward type that Miller and such use.

Today with a further test with the XL2 at the showroom, I found this a little concerning as, firstly, the tripod plate connected to the bottom of the camera had to be pushed right back to allow for counterbalancing the camera and in turn this plate then pushes into your chest. If you move the plate out of the way, the camer will not balance on the tripod.

The salesman said:

This should not be a prblem...just remopve the plate before using on your shoulder - yeah right, obviously not an end user! Who has the time to do that in a run-and-gun situation???

I don't like the fitting of the rails on the XL2 using the above setup, it looks "Makeshift" and it is uncomfortable.

The other thing I find unusual is that the XL2 does not have a rear guide under the camera like other pro camera so that the camera locks to the (canon) tripod plate at the back as well as the front. This also concerns me as that means there is only one point where the cam connects to the tripod and after time and wear, the camera could become loose fitting to the tripod everytime you put it on.

Just some thoughts.

David

Jim Sofranko November 17th, 2004 02:53 PM

I have a Vocas clip-on with my XL1 and I'm quite happy with the build quality. The clip on is best for hand holding the camera but a model with rods is good for tripod use and dramatic application where focus pulling may be needed. Some models can be configured both ways but I don't know of any that are quick to use both ways.

I prefer at least two rotatable stages for the most flexibility.

Check with Stan at the Filter Gallery in NYC 212-631-9177 to inquire about matte boxes (and filters). He is a wealth of knowledge and info.

Of course, I have no affilaition except as a happy customer.

Jim Sofranko
NY/DP