Editing XL2s 16x9 25p footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing XL2s 16x9 25p footage

hey,
need some help here, what are the standart settings for editing the XL2s 16x9 25p PAL footage in FCP HD?
And when exporting to AE on a PC, how do i keep best quality?
Do you use Tga sequences?
How is the anamorph aspect ratio handled best?
Scaling when exporting to tga?
Or is there a "save as anamorph" option somewhere?
how can i tell FCP to display the footage 16x9 and not 4:3 letterboxed?
Thanks!
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't use FCP but for PAL XL2 your project should be setup as 720x576 pixels with a 1.42 pixel aspect ratio. It is the aspect ratio bit that should get your program to display the image properly. ie 16:9.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

ok,
there is a Pal DV widescreen setting for capturing.
i used that.
The sequenz window is set to Pal DV (5:4), anamorphotic is checked, viewmode is: display as square pixels.
now everything looks widescreen.
But at first, evreything was displayed letterboxed, and each sequenz was distorted (factor -33,33)
I undid this, hopefully without qualityloss, since the capture dialoge says the footage was captured widescreen.

Next step: i want to export to AE.
how do i keep quality and the anamorphotic size?
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

how do you set pixels, viewmode, anamorphic etc? i can't find any of this in my cam menus. are you refering to post editing?

also the pal xl2 doesn't have a 30p on the dial. presumably thats only an ntsc thing needed?
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #5
Trustee

What settings are you using to exporting your footage from FCP? You should keep it at 720x576, 1.42 aspect ratio.

Normally in AE you would create a new composition with the settings of 720x756 (for PAL) and select widescreen (1.42 aspect ratio).

When you import your footage, right click on it and chose interpret footage and once again select 1.42 aspect ratio. This will ensure when you drag your clip to the composition it will look right and keep the 16:9 aspect ration.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders