Sending SMPTE to the BNC I/O? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Tourist

Sending SMPTE to the BNC I/O?

Does anone know if the BNC I/O on the right side of the XL2 will accept genlock or even better--SMPTE? My goal is to have several XL2's each with it's own hard disk recorder. I would like to send a time code feed to each camera via the BNC input. Hopefully, the time code will be sent thru the firewire stream and into the HDD... that's my hope anyway...

I've read thru the manual, or at least the first part in my native laungauge... and didn't gleam too muhc useful info on input/output options. I know it will GENeRATE a few flavors of time code, but will it READ it?

The other half of my diabolical plot is to "live switch" three of the little honies, but I'll save that for another day... LOL

Any advice proffered is welcome!
Kevan Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2
New Boot

Kevan I have a simular question. I am recording to a hardisc recorder for events. I am not going to record to tape because I don't want to stop recording to change tapes. What I'm not sure about is if timecode is sent over firewire in free-run mode if you don't press record on the camera. (I'll press record on the harddisc recorder.) I plan on setting the cameras to freerun as described in this artcle www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php to sync timecode. The signal will travel from a Camplex camera adapter over coaxial to a live switcher. The harddisc is for back up and cut aways during edit
Kevin Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Kevan:

<< Does anone know if the BNC I/O on the right side of the XL2 will accept genlock or even better--SMPTE? >

No, absolutely it does not. There most definitely is no genlock, no TC input. There is a workaround, however: see my article "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots" for more info.

Kevin:

<< What I'm not sure about is if timecode is sent over firewire in free-run mode if you don't press record on the camera. >>

No reason why it shouldn't work. I'm in no position to test this at the moment, but I can't see any reason why you can't do this. Please be sure to report back how this works for you,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

DV time code extractor

Here is a possible solution

www.spcomms.com/ltcexport
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great article Chris

would it work with an xl2 and an xl1?

how about manually setting all to zero on off brand cams using free run- would it be better than nothing?
Kent Dammand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Kent: the XL1 does not have the timecode options that the XL2
has, so no, that would not work.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders