XL-2 tripod adapter plate question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1
New Boot

XL-2 tripod adapter plate question

Has anyone had any real success with the (XL-100A?)tripod plate?Unlike a real full sized broadcast camera plate,the XL-2 plate has only the first stage of the locking mechanism and is missing the V-lock stabilizing pin setup in the rear.I wouldn't care except that there is about 5 degrees of play when mounted which basically negates whatever tripod you use with it.I have even considered wedging toothpicks between the camera and plate once mounted but that screams of desperation and only serves to remind me that I should have bit the bullet and bought a real camera to begin with.
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Yow. The one time I was able to play with a TA-100 setup, it seemed pretty solid to me. Anybody else have any input here? How many of you actually own this tripod adapter plate?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Mine works great. This thing is solid and rugid and sturdy. I have it mounted on a MKII-16 Bogen head which is a monster in itself (almost way to big and sturdy for the XL2 but bigger is better right) and it looks like it is on par with this caliber of system.

All I can say is that if you think the TA100 is lame then you must be comparing it to some NASA grade titanium gear designed to withstand Jupiter grade gravity. :)

The tone of this initial message is a little weird. Almost as if he doesn't want to like the XL2 as he says he should have bought a "real" camera. Like what? A CineAlta? To most the XL2 is the largest most rugged camera in its price range and feature set (24P and 16x9 being the biggest)....even too big for some. So if 24p is a necessity there is around a $20K price jump to the next level of "real" camera which would seem to be the SDX900. Unless there is a new 24P solution in between. The TA100 is a great and solid tool designed for a camera at this level....maybe even surpasses it a bit.

Like Chris said. "YOW"
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #4
New Boot

tripod talk

Thanks for the replies and supplying the name of the TA-100 mount.

Maybe I came on too strong but when I mounted the camera and plate to my Sachtler tripod and shot some moving boats down by the water you could see a pronounced "stutter" as the camera moved back and forth at the initial phase of each pan until the drag caught. This was most obvious of course at the extreme telephoto setting of the "normal"supplied lens.

I initially thought that it was the tripod head but on close inspection I found the problem to be the play at the camera/plate interface. The problem may well be that I do this for a living with 25 pound cameras and double locking camera mounts and my expectations might be unreal for a $5000 camera.

The "real cameras" that came to mind in my moment of frustration Marty and Chris were a decent used sony betacam or a used panasonic DVC pro. Although still substantially more than an XL-2,these choices are still in the ballpark of affordability (and no I wasn't thinking in terms of 24p or 6:9 at the time but having 2/3'' CCDs vs.1/3" doesn't suck).

Good shooting-Tom
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Tom

<< you could see a pronounced "stutter" as the camera moved back and forth at the initial phase of each pan >>

If this is with the standard white 20x lens... are you sure that you have the Optical Image Stabilization turned off? Because if it's on, it'll try to fight the pan and produce results like you're describing.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I have one of the mounts, and they are very stable. Every bit as solid and dependable as my Sony 25lb camera, and it's mount.

Image stabilization doesn't like tripods, no matter what, so turn it off on a tripod.

My only real complaint, I couldn't figure out how to mount it on my FX1. Now that could use a great quick release mount.

DBK
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:48 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Sounds like image stabilization to me as well, or the tripod head
can't do it's magic? I don't see how a stutter could come from a
plate like this....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Tom,
My TA-100 does that too. I use it on a "little" 505 head. It's not bad if you move the camera by holding the camera, but if you use the panhandle it does jiggle just a bit. (Yes, my image stabilizer is off)

Sounds like you and I got the only duds, bud.

I haven't really analyzed it, but found that a small bungee holding the accessory rack to the plate does the trick. This adds one five second step to attaching the camera. I guess if I took the time I could tap a set screw into the adaptor and dial it out from there. The bungee is a bit kiddy but works for now, and most of my "work" is handheld anyway.

Good luck with it...
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #9
New Boot

problem solved

The plate was defective.I exchanged it. Thank you for your replies.-Tom

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders