DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   problem when conection to PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35760-problem-when-conection-pc.html)

Michael Lopresti December 1st, 2004 04:25 PM

problem when conection to PC

hi all

im trying to send my footage from my cam to my pc but when i connect it (through firewire) its not showing up in my "my computer" ive put the cam on all the diff recording settings and even vcr and nothing with give any help will be great.

also does anyone know: when my camera is set to vcr mode in the middle right of the screen its flashing "dv in"

the manual says nothing about this

thanks again

Mike

AJ Silverman December 1st, 2004 07:34 PM

Sometimes Windows will recognize a camera upon plugin using Plug and Play( or plug and pray as some call it), but not always.

Depending on your hardware or software set-up...you should be able to capture footage, regardless of whether the camera appears in the device manager or My Computer. Using Premiere, you would click on file>capture>movie capture...or in vegas you specify your capture software and it will automatically open it when you click file>capture video.

You can also capture video and audio to your computer by using Windows Movie Maker, which is bundled in XP.

And finally, most cameras do NOT show up in my computer, unless they are equipped with a media card reader, in which case just that reader will appear as a removable storage volume.

Hope this helps.

AJ

Michael Lopresti December 1st, 2004 07:39 PM

thank you very much Aj
Cheers

anyone have any thoughts on the "DV IN"?

thanks again Cheers

Michael Lopresti December 1st, 2004 08:08 PM

well that didnt work i used windows movie maker to try and nothing just says i dont have anything plugged in

im lost i dont know what to do

:(

any more help anyone?

thanks

Mike

Richard Alvarez December 1st, 2004 09:37 PM

Sometimes it's a matter of rebooting the camera, or changing the order of plugging it in. Try it with the camera unplugged, boot up windows. Plug in camera , turn on.

THEN

Try it with the camera plugged in but NOT turned on, boot up windows, turn on camera.

Finally

Plug in and turn on Camera, THEN boot up windows.

XP will usually see at least a "generic" device, if not your particular camera.

What Editing system are you using?

Michael Lopresti December 1st, 2004 10:03 PM

i have tried with only windows movie maker. I also have premiere installed

i have tried unplugged, boot up windows. Plug in camera , turn on

im going to try your other 2 sugestions now

thx Rich

cheers Mike

Michael Lopresti December 1st, 2004 10:22 PM

Rich: nope none of that worked :(

any other help would be great

thanks again

can someone if you dont mind put your xl2 on vcr and see if it flashes "DV IN" on the right middle of the lcd plz and if it doesnt plug it in to you pc and see if it flashes "DV IN"
thank you

Chris Hurd December 2nd, 2004 12:01 AM

The problem you're having is indicated by that flashing "DV IN." It means that the FireWire jack on your camera is acting as an input only, not an output. So no wonder your computer can't see your camera. I'm trying to remember the procedure for clearing that, but my memory is a little foggy and I don't have an XL2 in front of me right now. Try this: toggle the setting for DV Control under the XL2's System menu. Also toggle the DV-AV switch under the XL2's VCR Setup menu. What I mean by toggle is, whatever those options are set on now, try the opposite. One of these ought to clear that "DV IN" setting and allow your FireWire jack to send DV out to the computer, where it'll see it and recognize it.

Michael Lopresti December 2nd, 2004 12:55 AM

thank Chris but that didnt work either

i also emailed canon maybe they can help me.

but please anyone that has another idea for me to try, Im listening :)

thank for all the help guys

cheers

mike

Chris Hurd December 2nd, 2004 12:59 AM

Tomorrow during normal business hours call 1-800-OK-Canon and navigate your way through the automated phone menu in order to speak to a live human being in tech support. Good luck,

Michael Lopresti December 2nd, 2004 01:04 AM

lol i'll run the indurance (phone) test

thanks again Chris for the help

Cheers

Mike

AJ Silverman December 2nd, 2004 08:59 AM

One other thing to check is what type of 1394 connection you have. If it is an integrated port, you may need to check if it is enabled in the BIOS, you get there by hitting delte whilst booting up(at the very 1st screen that pops up when you turn on your PC, it may be one of the F keys as well). Also check in the device manager, to ensure that your 1394 port has drivers installed(get there by right clicking on my computer, then choosing manage, and then device manager). If there are any yellow dots with an exclamation in them, resolve thos issues and try again. Have you tried capturing using Premiere? As a test..I hooked up my XL2 to XP'x Movie Maker proggie....and was able to record live from the camera without putting it in VCR mode. BTW...XP DOES recognize the XL2...so it "should" give you a dinging noise upon connecting. Hope it works out for you.

AJ

Michael Lopresti December 2nd, 2004 10:11 AM

thanks AJ
yep i tried premiere
i have a 1394 card everything is working fine

it just doesnt see my cam i dont understand

ive captured using this same card and cam

its just not working now

thanks
mike

Dick Reed December 2nd, 2004 05:20 PM

I had a similar problem after I had stepped on the 1394 cable when it was attached to the camera. $240 Canon had it fixed for me ;)

I must say that it wasn't a very hard yank on the connector. I don't think this is the most robust part of the camcorder.

Michael Lopresti December 2nd, 2004 05:28 PM

did you have to pay for that?

cuz isnt the camera under warranty?