DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Buying Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/36079-xl2-buying-question.html)

Curtis Gwinn December 8th, 2004 01:19 PM

XL2 Buying Question

Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards.

First off, this has been a GREAT resource for me. I'm a novice in the digital filmmaking world, and you guys have provided a lot of answers to my noobie questions.

Now, I have a GL1, but I'm considering upgrading to an XL2 this holiday season. I thought it would be easy enough, you know, just shop around for the best price and buy away...no such luck.

I didn't realize all the levels of scams and bologna there were out there. From fake-o warranties to Turkish made models, to sneaky fine print, I've run into it all.

My question is this (and I'm sorry if it's been answered a MILLION times, but I couldn't find a thread about it):

Can someone reccomend a reliable, afforadable, honest XL2 retailer?

I'm looking for the following requirements:

Factory Warranty
U.S. made
With 20x Zoom lens
Under 5K
No sales Tax!
No hidden costs or tricks!

I've done a lot of comparison shopping, but you just never know who's shooting you straight.

Any reccomendations?

Thank you in advance!

-Curtis

Jimmy McKenzie December 8th, 2004 01:41 PM

I think the cameras are manufactured in Japan...
In New York: B&H in Manhattan.
As for sales tax, I guess your exemption license for corporate purchases would be required, but if you were to call them, that would get you your answer.

Christopher Go December 8th, 2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for the following requirements:

Factory Warranty
U.S. made
With 20x Zoom lens
Under 5K
No sales Tax!
No hidden costs or tricks!
Welcome to DVInfo, Curtis! I know of several places where you can expect everything on your list, and possibly more. Check out DVInfo's sponser's page located right here. These sponsers are some of the best in the business; they all offer US warranties, are Canon authorized, and provide excellent customer service. Not sure about the Made in U. S. requirement, but otherwise you can't go wrong ordering from ZGC, Zotz Digital, EVS Online, or B&H Photo.

ZGC, Zotz Digital, and EVS in particular are very good about establishing good customer relations. Give them a call and ask for Christine, Brian or Tom, or Rush (in respective order of the vendors I listed) and they'll take care of you. I've had experience with all of them.

B&H Photo is a perfect for online ordering rather than personal over the phone service - their inventory is huge. However, I've had no problems contacting them when I needed to, and when I needed to RMA some expensive purchases, they were fantastic - got my credit back in mere days.

You really can't skimp on these large camera purchases because they are just the beginning of many more buys if you intend on shooting in the future. You want to establish a relationship right away on the right foot, and for peace of mind, I'd rather place my money on guaranteed rather than gray.

Curtis Gwinn December 8th, 2004 02:13 PM

Thank you guys!

Jimmy, I didn't know they were manufactured in Japan...I just had some guy scare me on the phone by warning me that there were substandard foreign made XL2's that shady retailers would pass off as the standard Canon issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Christopher, an extra thanks for those contact names.

I get the sense I'm headed for a life of expensive gadgets. Oh well, I love it.

-C

John Sandel December 8th, 2004 02:55 PM

Curtis, I bought my XL2 body-only kit from a sponsor of this forum:

Zotz Digital, in Grants Pass, OR. Brian Longley is the honcho there.

$3900, no sales tax, great service. Authorized Canon dealer. Top drawer.

JS

Curtis Gwinn December 8th, 2004 04:36 PM

Update!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I in fact did call and have a nice chat with Brian at Zotz and it looks like I'll be going through him for my purchase. Nice guy, honest and helpful. Perfect.

As Cameo would say, "Word Up."

For those who don't know who Cameo is, follow the link...

http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/a...tail.cfm?id=42

Richard Alvarez December 8th, 2004 06:25 PM

I also bought my system from Brian. He's gone to bat for me on some issues... excellent service. I would expect the other vendors to be no less professional. Stick with the sponsors.

Christian Asnieres December 12th, 2004 09:35 PM

Build a Local Relationship

Hello All,

I paid a premium for my XL-2 with a local business that I knew had a great reputation in the area for knowing what they are doing and talking about.

Yes, I paid full retail, plus a $100 premuim, including sales tax, but I quickly found them referring to me as an important customer, and giving me heavy discounts on accessories and supplies for the camera without even asking. They now call me with daily updates on my special order status, again, without asking.

They've even told me to ignore Canon's advice not to return defective cameras to the dealer, as they will assume responsibility with any problems I encounter, and will work it out with Canon themselves, as well as offering me a free rental XL-2 for the duration of the repair.

That, in itself, is worth far more than the premium I paid for the camera. I have always believed in establishing relationships over saving a buck. This retailer has taken such wonderful care of my Nikon D1-X cameras the past three years that I know they will baby my XL-2 just as much.

In the end, pay the money, support a local retailer, and build a relationship with someone who will appreciate your business in-kind.

Thanks for reading my .02. :)

Best reagards to all,

Christian

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Go :

You really can't skimp on these large camera purchases because they are just the beginning of many more buys if you intend on shooting in the future. You want to establish a relationship right away on the right foot, and for peace of mind, I'd rather place my money on guaranteed rather than gray. -->>>

David Levine December 12th, 2004 09:45 PM

Local chain

I bought at a local chain that offers a good extended Service Plan that basically covers the camera in case of all damage excepting fire or theft
Unsure peopels opinion of plans like this, but with other equiptment I have bought its turned out to be a saving grace that just makes me feel comfortable, But it was definitly not the cheapest way to go

Christian Asnieres December 12th, 2004 10:03 PM

Re: Local chain

In every single case of my buying new and expensive equipment, I have always recovered the premium I've paid over the long term many times over.

When you have a camera problem during the course of a shoot, and it would cost you minimum $250/day to rent an XL-2, but the local retailer has a free loaner for the duration of your repair, tell me how you aren't thanking the Higher for paying the premiium?

I am convinced that even the greatest retailer that sold a XL-2 (or other premium electronics) at a substantial discount would not be as accomodating as the local retailer you spent your money on that allowed him to stay in business against the Internet and the volume retailers.

I know I sound biased, but there is a reason why I continue to pay premiums on initial gear purchases as described in my previous post in this thread. In short, they've saved my butt many times.

Best regards to all,

Christian

<<<-- Originally posted by David Levine : I bought at a local chain that offers a good extended Service Plan that basically covers the camera in case of all damage excepting fire or theft
Unsure peopels opinion of plans like this, but with other equiptment I have bought its turned out to be a saving grace that just makes me feel comfortable, But it was definitly not the cheapest way to go -->>>

Mark Sasahara December 16th, 2004 11:49 PM

I got my whole XL2 package from ZGC, in New Jersey. The only thing I didn't get from them was my Vinten Tripod, because they aren't Vinten dealers. Chris at ZGC was really great and got me a pretty good discount on the whole thing.

As a New Yorker, I didn't have to pay sales tax and the shiping via UPS, only took a day. The Vinten and various odds and ends were purchased at good ole B&H.

Mark Sasahara December 16th, 2004 11:57 PM

Now all you sucker DJ's who think you're fly
There's got to be a reason and we know the reason why
Why you put on those airs and you act real cool
Got to realise that you're acting like fools
If there's music we can use it
You're free to dance
We don't have the time for psychological romance
No romance, no romance, no romance for me mamma
Come on baby tell me what's the word

Word up everybody says
When you hear the call you've got to get it underway
Word up it's the code word
No matter where you say it you know that you'll be heard

Jeff Miller December 17th, 2004 07:50 AM

Do your dance, do your dance, do your dance quick
come on baby tell me what the word...

rofl
I haven't heard that song in way too long, thanks!

Curtis Gwinn December 20th, 2004 03:12 PM

I apprciated everyone weighing in on this thread. It helps to hear all sides...

But in the end, my filmmaking partner and I went with Brian and Zotz Digital. They were awesome, and helped us figure out exactly what we needed to get started.

I highly reccomend them for anyone who's looking to buy online.

My XL2 just came in the mail, and I feel like a 9 year old on Christmas morning who wakes up to find he's got the G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier under the tree (I never DID get that damned toy).

Rock.

Mark Sasahara December 20th, 2004 10:28 PM

WORD!