Capturing XL2 Footage with a different camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 12th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing XL2 Footage with a different camera

Hi,

I'm getting an XL2 in the next month or so, and I was planning on using and old Sharp something or other to capture footage, so as not to put unnecessary wear on the XL2 heads. My question is this: if I shoot in 24P, or 16:9, will it still import the same into Final Cut? I would assume that these two things would in theory be written to the tape when you record, so that it would work if one had a deck to import, or a cheapo camera...

Any help would be appreciated.
Cannot wait for my XL2, and I would just like to say that I love this board, and it was one of THE deciding factors in choosing the XL2. Well, that, and finally getting to actually handle the camera today.
Jon Wivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2
New Boot

I am also interested in this question, as I encountered just this situation today on a raw viewing, and have no idea on the outcome once I hit the NLE's.

Best regards,

Christian
Christian Asnieres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Trustee

Capturing from any dv device will deliver the same results since it is just binary data being transfered. Beware however that I have been using my Panasonic PVDV900 camera for transferring and I get "digital glitches" or "dropout" sometimes. I originally was afraid that it was my XL2 but I have checked the tapes and they do not "glitch" at the points that they do on the captured footage. I am thinking it is time for a new deck/camera to avoid this issue.

So as long as the playback deck is functioning properly everything will transfer just as it would from the XL2 itself.

Good Luck
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been very happily recording 25p direct to disk with DV Rack and it comes into FCP 4.1 without any problems at all.

http://www.lizardlounge.com
Chris Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #5
New Boot

I've been capturing using a Canon ZR80 w/ Premiere Pro 1.5 and have had no problems.
Kenneth Irvine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders