16:9 XL2 vs PDX10 (and anamorphic?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Major Player

16:9 XL2 vs PDX10 (and anamorphic?)

Hi there

This is going to sound like a realllllyyy dumb question, especially for those of you who have the XL2 already ( I don't, which is why I have to ask). When you shoot in widescreen and then display on a regular 4:3 monitor, is the image letterboxed or anamorphically squeezed (like the PDX10 is?)

Also, looking at Chris's overview of the CCD block, http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article06.php ,does the PDX10 (which is the same as the TRV950) kill all the other camera's in terms of overall resolution, so the PDX10 should produce a picture with better resolution than a XL2?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Ronald, AFAIK the XL-2 shoots anamorphic 16:9 just like the PDX-10. That's the only format available for widescreen DV.

Resolution isn't everything. Chip size, optics and other design factors are equally important in the mix. The larger pixels on the XL-2's chips should also give it better low light response.

Although the TRV-950 and PDX-10 use the same chips, they are sampled differently. Apparently Sony wanted to deliberately cripple the 950, so the firmware reads fewer pixels in both 4:3 and 16:9 modes as compared to the PDX-10.

As much as I like my PDX-10, the stills I've seen from the XL-2 seem much nicer. The XL-2's progressive scan should also allow much higher resolution. But of course the XL-2 costs $3,000 more than the PDX-10 which would make one expect to see a difference...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: 16:9 XL2 vs PDX10 (and anamorphic?)

Quote:
does the PDX10 kill all the other camera's in terms of overall resolution, so the PDX10 should produce a picture with better resolution than a XL2?
Unquestionably not.

The PDX10 is an interlace-only camera, and as an interlaced camera it employs a blur filter between the fields to smooth out thin-line detail, to eliminate potential interline flicker. The result is that a PDX10 delivers a maximum of about 360 lines of resolution, as far as counting individual black-and-white horizontal lines.

The XL2 was designed as a progressive-scan device, and can scan the entire frame at full resolution, without needing to employ field-blending (unless you want it). As such, the XL2 can record and display the full 480 lines of resolution.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders