DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   US version of XL2, can it do PAL? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/36666-us-version-xl2-can-do-pal.html)

Donie Kelly December 20th, 2004 12:34 PM

US version of XL2, can it do PAL?

Hi all

Just looking at the US version of the XL2 on ebay. Can anybody tell me if the camera is both NTSC and PAL or just NTSC.

The eBay ad says NTSC, can it be switched?

Thanks
Donie

Pete Bauer December 20th, 2004 01:55 PM

No, not by the end user. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is simply a firmware/software change that Canon MIGHT be able to do (but probably wouldn't, I'm guessing). I have no idea if that is, or is not, truly an option. Unless a Canon Tech rep tells you in writing that they can change the camera from NTSC to PAL or vice versa, and what it would cost, you have what you buy -- NTSC or PAL but not both.

Not to knock eBay in particular, but generally speaking for a camera as new and in-demand as the XL2, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Caveat emptor.

A DVinfo sponsor is a better bet in the long run.

Richard Hunter December 20th, 2004 10:00 PM

Hi Donie. The PAL version has a frame rate switch with 25p and 50i engraved on the camera body. The NTSC version has 24p, 30p and 60i. I very much doubt that you can get both PAL and NTSC in the same XL2, and if you somehow did, the switch markings would be all screwed up for one of the modes.

By the way, you can get the PAL version in Singapore for S$6,700 or less (just over 3,000 Euros), at an official Canon dealer. You can also reclaim the 5% GST if you are taking it out of the country. Might be worth considering if you or a friend are coming over. If you'd like more details let me know. (I'm not selling anything, I'm just a satisifed customer.)

Richard Hunter

Rob Lohman December 21st, 2004 09:38 AM

Pete: the PAL camera also has a different CCD chips, so even if
the software could be updated (which is doubtfull at best) the
chips would be a problem!

Donie Kelly December 21st, 2004 10:00 AM

Hi all

Thanks for your inputs. I was sortof wishing it was true. I've been looking to upgrade to a real widescreen format for a while now as I wasn't too happy with the results from the XL1s in widescreen.

I've just order the Sony FX-1 and while my poor laptop probably can't handle editing HD footage I am buying it as an SD camera. I suspect it will be just as good if not better than the XL2 and here in Ireland the Sony may just be slightly better in low light.

I will miss my XLR inputs but as one of my pieces of kit is a wireless reciever I can modify that to pluy in with the small jack. It would be nice it had at least one XLR input.

XL2 retails here at €6K so I cannot afford it. I got the FX1 on amazon.co.uk for €3289 which I think is a good deal.

If anybody thinks I'm mad then let me know. I've been reading the reviews of the FX1 both here and on other sites and it appears to be kepping its owners happy. Just hope I'll be the same...

Does anybody here have an opinion on how it performs head to head against a XL2 as I had trouble finding a decent review to compare both these models.

Thanks for the info, as prompt and as helpful as always
Donie

Barry Green December 21st, 2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Does anybody here have an opinion on how it performs head to head against a XL2 as I had trouble finding a decent review to compare both these models.
I've done extensive comparing of them (and the DVX) all side-by-side. There's a long report here on DVInfo under a thread called something like "any reviews with hard facts?"

The thing is, you're asking how they compare, and you have to understand that in some ways they're not comparable at all. The FX1 is a high-definition interlaced camera, the XL2 is a standard-def progressive-scan film-looking camera. The FX1 on an HDTV provides a startlingly realistic "looking through a window" effect that the XL2 couldn't begin to match; on a standard-def DVD the XL2 provides video that looks like film that the FX1 just can't do.

As a DV camera, the XL2 is quite a bit superior in many ways, including low-light performance, audio, film look, image control options, and flexibility/extendability. However it's also nearly $5,000 vs. the FX1 at $3700. As a high-def camera the FX1 has it all over the XL2. So when you say "how do they compare", you really have to specify what parameters are important to you. They're like a spoon and a fork -- both good and valid utensils, but used for different purposes.